Amazon Prime Wardrobe - Goodbye clothing stores

• You pick at least 3 Prime Wardrobe items.
  • Amazon ships it to you with a prepaid return box.
  • You get a week to try everything out.
  • Ship back the items you don’t want to keep.
  • Get 10%-20% off if you keep enough items.

If it works the clothes and shoes part is big. Wow.

If they keep this up, amazon stock may be worth something one day.

And after long enough it will be the only stock left to buy.

Is it going now? I need some jeans.

Sounds like Amazon proper integrating more pieces from their Zappos acquisition. Neat.

In “beta” I guess. You can apply to participate.

Are there going to be third-party vendors? If so, this spells ALL KINDS of trouble, given the issues with counterfeit merchandise on Amazon, and how prevalent that already is in the clothing industry @nesrie

My mass market jewelry employer has already had an awful 12 months; depending on what all they include with accessories and jewelry this is… concerning.

They only bought Zappos in 2009! Moving with Internet speed!

I would never buy any luxury brand from Amazon. They leave it completely up to the customer to even know a genuine item from a fake. For moderate or discount brands… that’s another matter.

As a six foot tall female who has a hell of a time buying off the rack, (and as such, absolutely detests shopping for clothes in brick and mortar stores), this is extremely appealing to me. I already have to order a lot of my clothes from specialty ‘tall women’s clothes’ sites, but having to return things that don’t quite fit right is always a pain. Including a prepaid return box is huge.

I miss my local mall. That place used to be THE place to go for just about anything. You’d see people you know there, you’d come out with bags and bags of stuff. You’d visit it at least once a week, if not more.

I haven’t set foot in that place for over a year now. The last thing I bought there were a pair of shoes, and a pair of jeans.
It’s Amazon and Walmart and a few local grocery stores for everything else, and I feel seriously guilty, because I loathe Walmart.

I love Amazon, but I wish they’d just stabilize and settle down. Leave B&M alone for a while.

I don’t miss malls. Malls are not really for men. Most of the stores are aimed at women. They toss us a few crumbs – Gamestop, maybe a Dick’s Sporting Goods, some place to get a beer and a slice of pizza. I buy clothes as little as possible and if I hold out long enough the woman goes out and buys some for me. She knows what’s in style anyway, not me.

However, I do worry about the job loss when the malls close, and I worry about Amazon and Wal-Mart owning a combined 80% of the market someday.

But I did just buy a nice pair of Nike tennis shoes, and by that I mean shoes actually designed for playing tennis. I would have gladly had Amazon ship me three different pairs I could try on and ship back if I didn’t like them. I mean, I actually did have to go the mall to Dick’s to look at tennis shoes. I don’t care for the mall experience.

Zappos allows you do this. You can order several pairs and send them back, or least VIP can. But Zappos doesn’t have good sales… ever. You can almost always find the same shoes for less somewhere else, considerably less.

My 5’10-ish gf has similar concerns and issues, and is probably keeping the local UPS and Fedex shops in business with all the buying and returning that she does.

Hell, I used to do this anyway. Buy some jeans, return the ones that don’t fit.

The only difference is that now I don’t have to lie about why I’m sending them back :p

Same for me. And I’ve done it with Amazon. To me I see this as just legitimizing the process of the return.

As for B&M, malls, etc, those have been on the decline for some time already from online shopping. This isn’t anything crazy new, it just makes things easier, so I see Amazon as distinguishing themselves from the pack for online clothes shopping.

American brick and mortar retail is incredibly overbuilt. We have way more shopping space per capita than other first-world countries.

Amazon isn’t the only reason brick-and-mortar is starting to collapse. A lot of the wounds are self-inflicted.

Another shot fired at retail clothing.