Amazon Shipping Used Equipment As New

Then Amazon needs to do a better job vetting the companies that they fulfill orders for. A consumer shouldn’t have to “roll the dice” as you put it. Makes no sense to me that people simply shrug their shoulders and accept this shoddy business practice.

But if you don’t report them how do they get any feed back. Maybe you need to get your act together. If I get poor service from somewhere I don’t go back ever.

Shop somewhere else if they suck there are plenty of places online to buy from.

I doubt Amazon vets marketplace sellers any more than eBay vets eBay sellers.

If you go back and read my original posts, you will see that I constantly report them. I constantly return their used products. If I have a choice for where to purchase certain products, I buy them there (I can at least visually inspect purchases at Best Buy for example). However, I do not accept the notion that I am somehow at fault for expecting new products when they say they are new when I purchase them through Amazon.

I can only speak for myself, but I often buy stuff fulfilled by Amazon for the express reason that I trust them to handle a return process smoothly if needed. To me, blaming Amazon for a poor product that they only fulfilled is misplaced, unless you tried to return it and had trouble there. Expecting them to verify the quality of every item they fulfill isn’t reasonable.

caveat emptor and all that.

Oh, and check the ratings for third party vendors before buying.

You as the buyer are ultimately responsible for vetting what you buy and the choices you make. I always check ratings and reviews before I buy from a 3rd party vendor. Its all about being informed as a consumer. If you dont like Amazon’s business practices, vote with your wallet and stop buying from them. In this case, there were clear warning signs regarding the product and you either ignored them or didn’t bother to check. Regardless of what responsibility you feel Amazon has to vette 3rd party retailers, that’s on you.

You know for some reason Amazon doesn’t bother me with 3rd party sales, maybe because I previosly sold things used there successfully (the new terms make this cost prohibitive imo). What bothers me is Best Buy and Newegg both becoming flea market front ends and it not being at all clear which is selling.

And yet…

If you complain to amazon, they’ll take care of you.

If you don’t, then why are you complaining to us? Suck it up, you obviously are fine with it.

So many Amazon apologists, hehe. It seems that you guys are OK with the shoddy business practices. I shouldn’t have to hold my breath every time I order from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon. Maybe if they put a disclaimer in bold about how there is maybe a 50% chance you’ll receive the “new” product you ordered as used, then I might say OK, it’s on me. But there is no such disclaimer that I am aware of.

You keep conflating Amazon and third party sellers using Amazon’s marketplace. They are not the same.

Actually I think none of us are apologists. I have been shopping with Amazon since I got the internet. Never had any major issues, when I have had issues though they have been superb at sorting me out. My pebble broke and pebble no longer support any warranty Amazon sent me a new one next day, they replaced a broken xmas present that my son knackered again next day.

I feel you are making poor decisions and blaming us because you think we should be stupid and make the same mistakes as you. If someone pisses in the swimming pool and you are the only one swimming in it you need to be looking somewhere else for a solution not blaming those on the side of the pool laughing at you.

I’d be perfectly happy to call them out if they’d ever done a disservice to me, but they haven’t. I have, at times, seen vendors selling things on Amazon that seemed too good to be true or that otherwise didn’t look legit. I avoid those vendors. Perhaps that’s why I’ve never had an issue.

I think you are missing my point. Nobody should have to worry about anyone “pissing in the pool” if they purchase from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon. My judgement is purely about Amazon’s inability to ship new products they advertise as new. Sure, they will send me a new one if I return it (as I have many times) but they shouldn’t have sent the used one in the first place. Some want to distinguish between “fulfilled by” and 100% Amazon, but since Amazon is fulfilling the order, I expect them to provide what they advertise they will send to me.

My “poor decision” is to hold Amazon accountable for their weak business practices. I knew when I ordered the cable that there was a 50% chance I’d get a new cable. My point is that I should not have to worry about such things in the first place.

[quote=“Chris_Johnson, post:54, topic:128012”]
My “poor decision” is to hold Amazon accountable for their weak business practices.[/quote]
But you aren’t holding them accountable! It’s the opposite. You’re consistently rewarding them with more business, despite apparently having had a bad experience with them more often than you can count.

I am holding them accountable. Most of these bad things have happened to me over the past two years. What I used to order from Amazon I order other places for the most part. As I said before, electronics seems to be where I am having the problem with used gear.I haven’t purchased a computer from Amazon in a long time, but I did roll the dice on a Macbook Pro that I returned and was refunded for (you guessed it, a used Macbook Pro was sent to me).

I’ve been a Prime member since Prime started. I’ve complained to them numerous times. So I do more public complaining now, hehe. If they would just fix this issue, I’d have no problem purchasing items from Amazon.

Amazon does not stock or sell marketplace products. those are third party vendors. Amazon’s business practices are not involved except insofar as they offer the ability for third parties to sell through their site, and Amazon isn’t advertising anything.

Oops misquote.

These are all third party with a couple of them fulfilled by Amazon. As for the used and counterfeit issue, it’s a known problem at Amazon since they mingle third party with their stock. It might not even be this third party that sent you a bad item but another third party… it’s kind of a mess.

I buy from Amazon a lot, but there are specific items I won’t buy from them now.

Amazon isn’t advertising the product is new. The 3rd party seller is claiming the product is as advertised. The 3rd party seller is merely using Amazon as their storefront.

I try to stick with Amazon as the actual seller as much as I can and only buy from a 3rd party seller if they have a very favorable rating, and enough ratings to be trustworthy. The thing about Amazon is that I know they have my back if something goes wrong. It can be inconvenient, but i know that risk when I buy from someone other than Amazon. It sounds like you don’t like having any of the risk, so I would think you’d only stick to buying an item when Amazon is the actual seller.

Yes, exactly. Think of buying from a third-party seller like buying on eBay, except if they screw you over Amazon won’t dick you around.