Amazon Shipping Used Equipment As New

Not exactly on-topic, but I just had the weirdest substitution on an Amazon grocery order. Instead of fresh king prawns, I’m getting a litre of rice milk. I didn’t even know rice milk was a thing until now.

MyUPS should allow delivery options for free, just not changing addresses or delivery dates. That’s how I’ve asked for packages to be left on the porch for example. I don’t pay for the premium service, although I did pay once for a shipment not to be delivered since it was due the Friday of a long weekend and I was going to be out of town. But it is still at the driver’s discretion whether or not to follow it.

The FedEx version won’t let me sign up for it, so thanks again FedEx.

You never even heard of rice milk? How odd. I knew a guy in college who had never tried mustard, but he was like, aware of mustard.

It should, but it doesn’t.

To make sure I’m not misinterpreting – you pay UPS money to not deliver your package, and they still might deliver it anyway depending on how the driver feels?

Not quite. You can pay a fee for a delivery change. I believe that that change will occur, unless the package is already on the truck.

The driver has the right to look at conditions for leaving a package even if you’ve signed the release.

And when I said it should work, I mean it does. Here’s a screen on my iOS app that shows my preferences.

Maybe it’s changed recently because I guarantee none of that was present when I signed up.

Edit: I just downloaded it and checked for myself. Shipment release isn’t there and I already have a front door delivery preference set from years ago which has made not the slightest difference in getting UPS to actually deliver packages. It just seems to be interpreted as a preference of where to try to deliver the package, not that they should definitely leave it.

I’ve had similar experiences to @malkav11 even with a universal shipment release with both UPS and FedEx. I probably know most of the management at the local shipment centers on a first name basis, so often have I been driven to frustrated madness by the ineptitude and laziness of the local drivers. Every so often someone decent will end up with my route and I’ll get a few months of good service from one company or the other, but they always inevitably change and then it’s right back to the bullshit. . .

Soy milk? Sure. Almond milk? Sure. Rice milk? Nope. It’s just not something you see on store shelves here.

I’d just like to voice my annoyance at how when Amazon hands off to the USPS from UPS for the last bit of delivery, it sucks balls, because the USPS always delivers it a day late.

Like, as in the handoff takes a day, or as in they take an extra day past the projected delivery?

Because the former is just part of the process of transferring between services (and it’s infinitely preferable to UPS delivering themselves, for me, because USPS delivers things and UPS delivers InfoNotices), but the latter is definitely not working how it should be.

Yeah, the later.

For instance, was supposed to have packages delivered today. Still says they will be.

But they won’t. They were handed off to the USPS today, and won’t be delivered until tomorrow. Because that’s what happens every time they hand it off.

Hmm. That sounds more like UPS fucking up. Like I say, any time one service hands off to another it’s gonna take a day. Because the delivery trucks go out in the early AM, and so the one service will hand off to the other on that day’s route, and then the new service will send it out with the batch of trucks the next AM. But if UPS is handing off on the day it’s projected to be delivered, then they’re the ones running late.

(Or the tracking forecasting is fucked, conceivably.)

I should complain to Amazon about it, because it consistently takes one extra day every time it gets hand off, compared to the time of delivery by UPS the whole way.

I have only had Amazon do the cheap UPS to USPS on subscribe and save orders. They aren’t using that on Prime 2 day orders are they?

I really dislike places that use the hand off to USPS service (UPS, FedEx, and DHL all have that option). It must be dirt cheap because things will take 5-7 days.

Yep, they are now.

It’s a cheap, slow option, yeah. I can’t recall ever having Amazon use it for Prime but Woot used to use Fedex Smartpost for everything.

(And that’s “cheap” in quotation marks. I pretty much guarantee you could go straight USPS as a consumer and pay noticeably less for as good or better speed. But companies have bulk rates, i guess.)

So Amazon shipped my new PC which is set to arrive today. I’m off today and have been at the house. I just got a notification saying delivery was attempted but my mail receptacle was full or the package was oversized (duh! its a computer) and to use the paper notice that was left for more info on re delivery or pickup. Of course there is no notice because the lying sack of USPS postal worker never actually tried to deliver anything. At least not to my address.

On hold with USPS now. 30-45 min wait. Bastards.

I’ve had that happen before, where someone was too damned lazy to get out of their truck.

It is what happens almost every time I interact with a mail service these days.

Goddamn I hate getting packages delivered.