Amazon To Acquire Whole Foods

I wonder if my 5% cashback amazon card will work at whole foods? That’s pretty sweet if so. I still won’t actually go there, my local Whole Foods is right on union square in manhattan and it’s a mobscene. But if they deliver good stuff, I’m in.

Seems like good news. I have one less than 1/4 mile away. I previously only used it for the few specialty items I might need occasionally. Now I -might- not feel so bad getting a little more there.

It still suffers from the same problem as before though with any brands besides their own. I know that’s where they supposedly made their money, but hey … not enough to keep from getting bought out, right?

A skeptical take. I’m surprised the (European) retail sector response was so dramatic, relatively speaking. Whole Foods is not a big player here, and as the article suggests, price competition doesn’t really make sense for them anyway. I suppose there’s worries they’d acquire someone else in Europe and do the same.

Wonder if it’s a smart move for Amazon to trumpet those price cuts. If they’re extremely modest, expect the social media backlash akin to the first Prime day.

Wait until they buy Taco Bell.

They are loss-leaders to get people in the door buying essentials. Also it’s critical to counter Whole Foods’ reputation for shockingly high prices.

That didn’t take long

I totally want a farm fresh Echo, but only if it’s organic and gluten free.

Free Range Echo or go home.

They should’ve gone with “Own the farming season like a hero” for maximum 2017 controversy overload.

Man those cut prices at Whole Foods are still so much more expensive than everywhere else I shop.

Oh well

The muffins aren’t as expensive as first glance, because they’re big.

Wow.

Geez. Well it doesn’t make much sense for a second West Coast location, and they need talent to draw upon. Midwest or Northeast?

Austin.

Surely they have a city or three in mind that fit what they’re looking for. This comes across to me as a way to have those cities overbid on tax breaks and other incentives with an outside shot that a “desperate” locale gives them the moon. On the other hand, this is kind of uncharted waters so if you’re Amazon, might as well offload what you can to make the logistics planning easier on your end.

Whatever city they go with will have to be near Seattle in desirability if they want this to work… you can say two locations are equal until you’re blue in the face but if none of the HQ1 talent wants to relocate there’ll be a lot of friction and resentment from the lesser location.

My first thought is Austin, with a pipe dream of them revitalizing the near-east side of Cleveland (this fails the “desirability” test, sadly). There’s a lot of real estate up for grabs once you get past Cleveland State University.

Not a bad suggestion at all. And a nice place to visit to boot.

I suggest the Northeast, preferably within a reasonable commute from me. :p

There are already 3 Amazon distribution warehouses surrounding me <20 miles in each direction.