Amazon's Lord of the Rings MMO

Being made in partnership with Leyou in China.

Finally, something original.

Doesn’t this game… already exist?

It seems like exceptionally poor reporting to not even mention LOTRO in that article.

Yeah I’ll stick with LOTRO. Thanks Amazon.

Having seen the success of Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm, Amazon are pleased to announced an upcoming MMO based on the World of Warcraft universe.

I’m actually interested that they have the IP rights necessary to do this. I’m guessing it’s related to whatever they bought for the movies they’re making.

I’m interested to see how this impacts Turbine though. (Turbine’s still the dev of LOTRO, aren’t they?)

They don’t even mention it? Jesus.

Standing Stone Games, who are I believe some ex-Turbine folks now doing their own thing.

If Amazon has the rights for games, please work with EA to make Battle for Middle Earth available again.

It reads like a press release reworked as an article. It’s not legitimate journalism like Pewdiepie practices.

Oh gosh yes please. While I’m super happy to have my disks, they deserve a digital version. SO GOOD.

Will I be able to import my existing characters?

/s

Amazon still hasn’t managed to release any of the games they were working on yet correct?

Amazon is working on games?

Amazon is working on all the things

Do we really need another Lord of the Rings MMO? Does anyone want this?

Amazon should have acquired Kingdoms of Amalur from 38 Studios and made that MMO.

At an undisclosed meeting at Amazon HQ, sometime past:

Clueless Amazon Exec: We need a super hot setting for our first MMO. Something really catchy and hip.
Chinese developer: 你付我们多少钱?
Low paid translator: Something with dragons?
Clueless Amazon Exec: Of course! Dragons! But what’s the setting?
Chinese developer: 你很快付钱给我们?
Low paid translator: Uhhhhh, Lord of the Rings!
Clueless Amazon Exec: Exactly! That’s brilliant. Thanks for that idea! People will love this, especially because there aren’t many games out that use that setting!
Chinese developer: 你是个笨蛋

the mmo genre is NOW officailly dead

I will not be playing this…

well done Jeff Bezos, well done

I was wondering the same thing. Every single "Amazon Game Studios. . . " thread I can remember on here is basically

Post 1: AMAZEBALLS OLDSCHOOL DEV joins with EXTRAORDINARY TECH TOOL to create BELOVED UPDATE TO EXISTING GAMING PARADIGM.

Posts 2-8: Oh, neat.

TWO YEARS LATER

Post 9: Other studios that have licensed EXTRAORDINARY TECH TOOL report major issues, are switching to alternatives.

Posts 10-14: Oh, that sucks. I’m really hoping this still comes out, though.

TWO YEARS LATER

Post 15: AMAZEBALLS OLDSCHOOL DEV has left Amazon Game Studios. The future of BELOVED UPDATE TO AN EXISTING GAMING PARADIGM is now in question. Amazon has no comment.

Posts 16-18: Dammit

TWO YEARS LATER

cobwebs

A free-to-play MMO, being created by a studio whose track record is basically that awful Grand Tour game, in conjunction with a new publisher whose parent company was primarily a chicken supplier less than five years ago. Colour me hyped, son.