So I’ve stopped playing after spending 35 hours with the game. I leveled a character up to around 26 or so and a second character to 11 on a different cluster.
My overall impression is that the game sure is pretty! As a MMO it sure is… a pretty game!
There is a certain excitement when a MMO launches and everyone is crowding around the same areas, fighting for mobs, when no matter where you go, you see people left and right, where cities are bustling with people, and where chat is zipping by (that is, once you get by the jammed login servers and the rubberbanding from all the lag!). At this point if I play New World it’ll be because of that exciting period. Because there’s not a whole lot else to recommend it.
- weapon skill trees are very sparse and different types need balancing.
- PVE questing is very bland, as there are only three or four types of quests
- PVP (which I did not participate in) seems not great from my outside perspective
- UI needs a bit of work
- crafting is pretty good, though it seems that the resource requirements skyrocket as you get to the higher levels of crafting (I’m not 100% sure this is bad, as it might simply be a way to gate progression).
- no endgame PVE activities as far as I could tell
It’s pretty clear to me that the PVE elements of the game are relatively new, because most of them need a lot of iteration (weapon skills, questing).
I enjoyed my time in the game and it’s possible I’d buy it on launch to play for a month or so and reconnect with some online buds, but as it stands the game doesn’t have legs, so at the state it’s in I suspect most people would run out of interesting stuff to do and would stop playing it after a few months.