Amazon's New World MMO

Since, I hadn’t played before I had fun and got my name so that is good. Then the server went down.

Game really ran fine, despite just a swarm of people at the beginner’s area…

I was confused about few things. I got a lot of craft fails messages. I assume that has something to do with skill? Or is how many crafting attempts you’ve made?

I’m sure bows will eventually be important, but they sure seems slow compared to melee weapons.

Can you respec weapon attributes, or if you pick up some skills, with say sword you are stuck with them?

My only complaint is that level pacing seems too quick I’m level 10 in 3 hours with no clue, what I was doing and no challenging fights. Oh well I guess there are a lot of levels.

Still overall, a very fun game, with surprisingly good graphics and not very little lag even though, I was in the red zone for ping.

Crafting shouldn’t fail, that may be related to the server load. I have never seen a crafting attempt fail.

Ranged weapons start out feeling a bit weak. There are often skills and passives that will improve things like reload rate or shoot more projectiles etc. So after a bit of investment they do improve.

Each weapon levels independently, so you can’t take points from Sword and Shield and put them into Hatched. Within one weapon you can respec weapon attribute points for free up until you hit level 10 (and afterwards it costs some gold). If you switch to a new weapon you level it up independently (it goes pretty fast so it doesn’t take long before you have a few skillpoints in the new weapon). If you never go back to Sword and Shield those points are not used but weapon attribute points are pretty easy to come by, and it’s a good idea to try different weapons to see how they feel to you.

As for not knowing what you’re doing, I recommend following the main questline at least up through choosing a faction (that will be around level 8 or 9). Choose the faction that is the same as the company you’re joining. Joining a faction opens up the faction questgiver, who has 3 PVE and 3 PVP quests you can take. Completing those quests earns you faction tokens, which you can use to purchase decent gear (from him). Two of the most notable things he sells are ammo for ranged weapons and a Rune of Holding, which is a required ingredient for crafting a bag.

Sounds good. With the same caveat, that’s where I’ll plan to roll a character after work this evening. Assuming the servers haven’t been slagged by then. :)

Welp…

Not so quiet.

East Falias wasn’t crazy, so I made a character there instead.

This looks interesting, but I think I might wait until the server rush madness dies down in a few days…

I got right into Falias when I created my character earlier.

And miss out on that New MMO experience where you anxiously wait in queue for an hour, get to play 15 minutes, only to be unceremoniously dumped out of the game with a vague error message? C’mon, where’s your sense of adventure? :)

I am fully expecting the servers to be in fulldown meltdown mode and taken down for maintenance by the time I get off work but by god that won’t stop me from firing up the game and repeatedly trying to log in!

If you are still curious, we are on Sarragalla (Syndicate)

I’ve definitely been curious, yup.

Given the queues, anyone in US West up for Sarragalla? @pyrhic, you establishing on Ygg yet?

Nope, i slept in. No particular rush here, so if you decide on another west server just let me know

gonna try neno kuni - high pop with only single digit queue…

Also, is the narrator the same as the one for diablo 2? Sounds really similar…

I think I’ll claim my character name then bugger off for a few days to let the chaos happen in my absence.

Lemme know how it goes! I’ll probably roll Sarragalla since that’s where Misguided’s guild is at but as of right now I’ll just be rolling up a character on whatever server is left standing in another 6 hours or so.

I really hate workdays when a new game releases. :)

Been there, done that, got the EQ 1/UO/AC/AC2/DAOC/WoW/EQ2/etc. t-shirts, thank you.

In years past I played Meridian 59, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, EverQuest (for six years!), and World of WarCraft (for sixteen years!!), as well as other MMOs. So I gave serious consideration to purchasing and playing New World.

But things have changed for me. I can no longer do all-nighters due to physical limitations. There are things that require more of my time than they once did. Etc., etc.

But it is not my wish to be a downer. I just wanted to let you all know that I hope you have a lot of fun playing New World and that I will be there with you in spirit.

Enjoy yourselves!

there were only 4 with 1000+ queues in the west an hour ago. Camelot and El dorado were the worst with like 12k and 16k.

I logged in and just went to the starting area - there was about 30-40 people bouncing around so i grabbed some dirt and i’ll log back later - i really hate overloaded starting zones and i really dont know why they dont just instance them…

They need to invent a technology where companies can post updates in text form rather than having to take images of text but alas, in 2021 that’s all we have.

Looks like server choice won’t be so much issue early on as they will be offering free transfers. I can’t tell from the text if it will only be allowed for specific new servers, though. The wording seems kind of ambiguous to me.

well, they do say ‘of their choice’. It could mean ‘of their choice’ within our subset, but that’d be kind of duchey of them so early in their game to go that far…

I agree. I interpret it as “move to any server” but there was enough ambiguity to throw a mental asterisk in there for me. We’ll see! It’ll just be nice to be able to hop in and play and not worry too much about particular server until things settle down a bit.

Ya, i find it weird no one’s figured out a better way of doing things at this point. Maybe this is one way that genres have a very specific advantage - or is sci-fi still so niche that they can do things with only a couple of servers?