Amazon's New World MMO

Bumping this to say Closed Beta begins July 20, which ain’t that far away. I assume this is only open to people who have preordered. But it appears to me that you could preorder, play the beta for free, and cancel your preorder if you didn’t like it (it says the preorder isn’t charged until the game launches on August 31).

I’m sure nobody else thought of that!!

I would have to care about the obviously falling game too do that though, right?

Sorry, is this the relentless negativity everybody always complains about? How’s this-- I can conceive of a world where Bezos continues to fund development and new world turns its frown upside down in about eighteen months. I can picture it in my mind’s eye. Also I can imagine I have the ability to levitate. This would be very useful to reach the instant pot I put on top of my cabinets. Instead I have to go to the closet and take out the stepstool. Like a peasant!

I’ll give them credit for listening to the Beta feedback and realizing they needed to retool. Having to retool like that usually isn’t a great sign, but major props to them for doing it. I’ll check it out for sure, with low expectations.

On the positive side, the world itself seemed pretty cool when I played the…preview? Whatever the hell it was, last time. The class skills needed major work, but the combat felt pretty decent even so.

It had potential.

So ‘IF’ they’ve polished things up, I personally am curious. It didn’t feel like some unsaveable train wreck to me.

This has potential. Many alpha players enjoy it and play it for long hours. I personally wish it stayed pure PvP, but expanding the PvE focus will appeal to a wider audience. It’s got a chance. It looks very good and combat is excellent. It’s not clear to me if it has enough content to last for the intense initial surge of interest. Let’s see.

Any idea how the pve and pvp interact? They made it sound like PvE could help your faction with pvp. Maybe by providing global buffs or something?

Its been a few months since I played. Here is the best summary:

Thanks. I have zero interest in being ganked trying to quest, but I don’t mind jumping in with a group for stuff, especially if there aren’t big penalties for getting killed, which I will. Sounds like they have some fun stuff planned

I haven’t played it for probably a year but from all the YouTube videos etc. I’ve been reading, it seems that they listened to player feedback and have made a lot of improvements, re-orienting the game more towards PVE. They seem to be getting high marks for recent changes.

I don’t expect this game to be the next big thing, but it’s always exhilarating to be there when an MMO launches, with the crowds of people and the buzz of a new game. Plus you can reconnect with some old friends. And if it’s fun to play for two or three months then I’ll feel like I’ve gotten my money’s worth.

Yep I agree with all that, three months for $60 or whatever is fantastic, if you’re enjoying yourself

I feel that way too. I don’t expect any MMO to hold me for much longer than that.

They added some 5-man dungeons, but my impression (not having played) is that there’s still more pvp than pve.

Nope, it’s now a primary PvE game with just a little dab of PvP on the side. Most content is PvE.

How can that be the case? I thought they just added pve content to what was already there. What pvp content was present before that is missing now?

They completely changed the direction of the game two years ago or maybe longer to shift from a PVP to PVE focus. It wasn’t just a PVE coat of paint.

Oh, ok. I believe you, that just wasn’t the impression the interviews and such had given me.

The New World devs just posted a FAQ about the closed beta that begins July 20:

I think the one that surprised me the most was Anarchy Online announcing their 20th anniversary. I thought that would’ve died ages ago.

Simutronics, which runs Gemstone, has been kicking since the mid-80s. Get your text-based MMO on! (They developed the Hero engine which Bioware used in their Star Wars MMO.)

Oh cool, there are no restrictions on streaming/posting content, so there will be plenty of chances to see gameplay.