Amazon's New World MMO

Yeah, after we wiped on that guy, we left our best dps down and I went up to tank the mobs up top (I’m a 50/50 dps hybrid tank). I also took aggro from the demons against the final boss.

Oh yeah GW2 is a success. Forgot about it. Not sure about Planetside 2.

Does the combat in this game require lots of twitchy mouse movement, or can one do everything with keypresses? Mousing hurts my hands. So does ultra-fast keyboarding, for that matter.

For ranged weapons you’ll need to use the reticle and aim. For melee weapons it depends, something like the rapier you need to have some precision but the great axe has wide sweeping strikes that mauls everything around you.

I would not describe the combat as being fast and twitchy, it’s fairly slow. More involved than a tab-target MMO like WoW, though.

Have you played Elder Scrolls Online? If you can handle that you’ll be fine here. The control scheme implies to me there’s going to be console/gamepad support at some point but no idea if and when that might happen.

Thanks for the reply. I did play ESO briefly and don’t remember having a problem with the controls. But I didn’t get very far. I do like to play ranged attackers, but I dunno if I’d be good at aiming under time pressure. I can use a trackpad for mouse movements if they’re slow, so maybe it’s doable.

Other than that, I take it you enjoy the game? I’m tempted to try it.

Yeah, I’m enjoying it quite a bit. I do have a fairly long list of complaints and things I would like to see improved/changed, but the good has outweighed the bad. For $40 and no subscription fee I’ve easily got my money’s worth and I’m still playing.

That’s the thing. And even if/when we get tired of it, we can pick it up again after a major content patch or expansion launches.

Yep! Exactly what I plan to do. I have a feeling I’ll still be heavily playing for a few more weeks, then a bunch of new games I’m interested in all come out and I’ll be distracted just in time for them to polish some things up and release a major content update or something to lure me back in. :)

I haven’t really had much trouble aiming with the musket in this game. Bow is a completely different story as the arrows are actual projectiles that take time to get to their targets so you have to lead them but some enemies can basically turn on a dime so it can sometimes be impossible.

I’m already burning out. I took my second trip to Amrine with a group of folks I’m starting to work with. It was fun, but it was still super chaotic. Basically, I felt like I was aiming my fire staff in a general cluster fuck, and mashing the LMB, and the occasional Q and R button. When I run out of mana I do the same thing with a rapier.

I think I miss the more detailed and nuanced spell system of most RPGs. I know life staff has bit more variety than fire. But still there isn’t much in the way of buffing or rebuffing opponents.

I’d like some more of this as well.

I could see them adding more spells and abilities, but at least the game lets us switch to different weapon types and get a different feel for the play. I like that. I could turn my character into a healer with a life staff. I don’t have to roll a second character for that.

So the obvious choice for most I would think is one ranged weapon and one melee weapon. Has anyone used two melee weapons? Is there any synergy between two?

The Syndicate company I’m in owns two territories, Windsward and Weaver’s Fen. Last night war was declared on both, by different Covenant companies. So we have two wars scheduled for tomorrow at exactly the same time. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

Bow is my favorite weapon. I love the lack of any artificial range limitation, very unusual for an MMO.

Yeah, I was shocked at how far away I was shooting things. I’m used to the limited ranges most MMOs impose.

Sounds like a coordinated attack.

Could a troop of bowmen launch a volley of arrows in a general area and rain down death? That would be cool.

I do like being able to easily switch weapons. I think I made a mistake by decided I wanted to be mage early on and not taking advantage of the free respec,but once.

I’m not sure I see the point for doing 2 melee weapons.

Yeah, I haven’t really studied them all. Maybe there’s a weapon that does a good job of slowing an opponent’s moving speed or attack speed, so you would use that melee weapon to debuff the opponent and then switch to a heavy hitter?

I’ve been goofing with sword and shield plus hammer/great axe combo and it’s solid for questing.

Some tanky options, some cc and higher damage heavy attacks available to mix.

Maybe while I was in a dungeon or something but no way would I want to be without either a melee or a ranged weapon in typical gameplay. One of each for me!

I’ve seen Youtube videos with lots of players running around in PvP using axe/hatchet. Don’t know the details of the build though.