Amazon's New World MMO

Bought it tonight. What world is everyone on? Started on Klomm but happy to move wherever Q23ers are.

There are twitch drops available for this Twitch Drops and you can also earn these watching me but of course you don’t have to ;) My channel

Finias as Marauders. For launch I plan on doing Syndicate for faction but went where the people were this time :)

Played a lot yesterday to level 12 on Finias. No matter what server you pick you will probably be experiencing crushing queues since it appears they are throttling logins to make sure the server doesn’t get crushed.

Aside from one terrible sheep related quest, I haven’t found many issues with the game. I did get bugged once when I equipped two new weapons where one of the new weapons would not attack with left click. I had to relog to fix that. And I heard (but I’ve not experienced) that fishing is bugged. Performance seems pretty good.

I have been experimenting with a different weapon combinations and haven’t found a pair that clicks (you can only have two weapons equipped at a time). You want one that has ranged abilities and one that will be used when the mobs run up to you and are smacking you in the face. Ideally, you want two weapons that use the same stat (strength, dexterity, etc).

At any rate, the beta seems pretty smooth so far and I am sure I will spend a lot more time in it.

Really pleased with my experience with the beta last night. The game definitely exceeded my expectations, although admittedly they were pretty low.

The audio design to the game is great. Hearing the crack and thunk of mining picks and axes as you approach the first town is great and the sight of dozens of players clearcutting the forest fits the theme of a colony.

I really like how you build up reputation in an area by doing tasks for the town. I hope that leads to regions being “home base” for people. I know I don’t want to give up my +16% gathering speed and other perks!

Mostly spent my evening gathering, crafting, fishing, and just kind of figuring out the systems. I was thinking of maybe going a mage route with a fire staff but I’m going to want something close range and non-mana dependent as well, I think. I was having mana issues with Fire staff + Ice gauntlet, so thinking I might have to choose one or the other. I just need to figure out where to get Fire motes as I need those to craft a better staff. Life and Water motes I have in spades, I’m guessing I’m going to need to find some sort of fiery environment for Fire?

Added Macringleberry on Finias. I’ve played 45 minutes total so appreciate ya answering the noob Qs

Let the gamer beware.

Pretty skeptical of that considering the source is… a post on reddit.

I could see how uncapping your framerate might cause a draw in power and that killing a GPU, but that sounds like a card defect. Hardware shouldn’t brick because you have an uncapped framerate.

Era has a thread on this.

https://forums.newworld.com/t/known-issue-evga-rtx-3090-100-gpu-usage/126068

Kevin, have you seen a rapier yet? I don’t have the game yet, but saw it in use last night. The moves seem pretty neat and it scales off of decks and int (I assume the staff and gauntlet use int, at least).

I can’t explain why, but I love gathering materials. It looked like that could be really enjoyable in this game from what I could tell. It looks like there are no choices to make here as far as which gathering/crafting skills you can use?

Rapier is actually what I have currently equipped as my other weapon! So far, so good! I lucked out and found a green quality one drop which is why I started using it, but I’ve liked it so far. Glad to hear it scales with Int, I thought I saw an icon that looked like it might be the rapier in the stat screen but I haven’t really dug in yet.

You can use them all, but I’d put a little asterisk next to that. You can use all skills, but leveling up your gathering skill doesn’t seem to be completely trivial either, it takes a little work compared to other games. And each stat also provides bonuses to gathering. For instance, hitting key milestones in Strength will improve your mining speed, Dexterity for skinning, etc. Chopping a tree or hacking an iron vein is a longer process than harvesting nodes in most games, so the increases in gathering speed seem nice to have.

FWIW, I enjoy gathering in these games but this one in particular. Gathering/crafting seems much more of a focus compared to most MMOs. I even enjoyed fishing which I usually don’t enjoy doing! At the end of the evening I just got the ability to track Hemp so that’s really going to help my fiber gathering. Now if I can just find a fiery area where I might get access to some fire motes to make a new staff…

While I’m rambling about gathering, I wanted to share a tip that I learned last night after spending a lot of time looking for particular resources (Iron, hemp): terrain is massively important.

I’m used to games scattering ore nodes around and that sort of thing but you’re just not going to find much in the way of iron in the woods or grassland. Open up your map and look for brown areas, they will be more rocky and that will be where you find iron ore. It took me forever to find hemp, but it grows in a specific type of grassland. Look for a darker green coloration on the map. A good area is just south of the first settlement you encounter, near the farm. That color of terrain is the only place I’ve actually located hemp, but once I started looking there I was able to harvest a ton of it.

For anyone doing alchemy type stuff and needing Life motes, I’ve had the best luck finding lifebloom flowers in the forested areas. I’ve also been able to get them by “salvaging” tadpoles and other green-quality life found from fishing, which also tend to yield other useful products. That’s a slower way to get life motes but it also doesn’t require to have 30 harvesting skill like the lifebloom plants require.

I thought that might be the case, because if it were trivial, you will end up with everyone being maxed on everything, which doesn’t really seem ideal from an economy perspective.

I hadn’t even thought about this, but it seems really cool. Honestly, I could spend hours just foraging, mining, etc. pretty excited about this.

Btw, spear also scales off of dex and int. Is the gauntlet fun? I like crowd control.

That pretty much describes my evening, I didn’t do a whole lot else besides that.

Good to know about the spear! I haven’t seen one yet but I should be able to make one, I’ll give that a shot. Gauntlet I only played very briefly with as I realized I was going to have mana issues and I wanted something a little bit more up close and stabby. I only unlocked a single skill point for it and used it to deploy some sort of pylon/turret? It seemed pretty cool, but I opted to just focus on the staff so I don’t have much experience there.

I know it’s early, but if you don’t want to do spend a lot of time crafting, can you progress your character in other ways?

I feel the MMO itch starting to burn again!

Despite ordering late (yesterday), a slot opened up and I got a Steam key. Installing now!

I believe spear scales off of dexterity and strength, not int. I say that because I just spent my lunch hour setting up my spear/hatchet skills!

Dex/int is musket, rapier, and …. Uh… that might be it.

I think so, just buy what you need from the trading post. You can get money from completing town and faction jobs.If you’re not entirely opposed to gathering, you could skin the animals you kill and sell the leather, feathers, and other materials like that. I do think gathering would be useful, even if you’re not planning to craft or focus heavily on it. Sometimes the job board is requesting things like lumber so you can make some quick xp/money that way and being able to make food is nice.