Amazon's The Wheel of Time ++ Use SPOILER TAGS

The examples provided in the comments seem relevant (and make me laugh).

The last three books are excellent. Just reread Memory of Light. I liked it better than the first time, quiet a few really good scenes.

My only experience with Wheel of Time is the Unreal engine game’s demo that came out in early 2000s. I loved the atmosphere in that demo. You were exploring some ruins, and everything was really dark and foreboding. I wonder if that game is available anywhere?

Edit: Oops, it was 1999, not 2000. Wheel of Time.

I’m not interested in the show, but a Wheel of Time CRPG might be okay.

It was on one of the GDQs 2 years back. Basically quake with rocketjumps via fireball spell

text link to prevent embed that doesn’t work

Wow, I thought it was a first person shooter in a fantasy world with hopefully a lot of atmosphere. But instead it turns out it’s a game about rocket-jumping and glitching your way through geometry. :P

I mean, Sanderson is the best genre fiction author extant so.

Oh my god no. I mean he’s competent, but the best? Hardly.

That first Stormlight book is tedious as all hell. Thankfully, #2 and #3 are a lot better. Not my favorite (genre) author however, nor anywhere in my top 10.

You all need to check yourselves.

He’s certainly in the conversation. Yes, the last three volumes in The Wheel of Time that he completed were extremely well done, and A Memory of Light is a truly memorable book. Well plotted, written and conceived.

I think by now, most especially after Season 8 and Game of Thrones, we can all appreciate that ending a series is difficult. Sanderson totally pulled it off. There were no complaints from fans about Sanderson’s efforts.

While I agree that vol1 of Stormlight Archive is difficult, Sanderson chose to reveal the lore of his world and how magic works by allowing the reader to infer the system and rules by reading it – all without overt exposition. It’s a challenging approach, especially for one as complicated as Sanderson created in that series.

As for the hate for Wheel of Time here, I think it’s largely coming from those who abandoned the series at about the same point as many (most?) readers did. Around book 6-7. Nevertheless, All’s Well that Ends Well. It’s worth your time to finish it if you were like so many and gave up.

Sing it, brother. Sanderson is amazing. And definitely top 5. Maybe even my #1? Possibly #2.

Time to breakout Stormlight. I really enjoyed his Mistborne trilogy, though I couldn’t get into the second set of the series (might have to retry that too).

I suppose I should read the rest of WoT too. Stopped at book 7, and not sure I remember enough to not have to re-read it, nor have the willpower to get to the Sanderson parts.

I’m waiting on Stormlight to finish. When I got the 2nd book I barely remembered anything from the first. I’ll reread those two when the entire thing publishes in like 15-20 years (if I’m still alive).

Like so many others I gave up “around” book 8 or so, 15 years ago. Principally id like to find out how things end, but I don’t really remember enough of what was going on or even where I stopped, to just carry on and plow through. However I remember enough that a restart of this loooooong series is also not an appealing prospect, so I’m kinda stuck where I am.

Stormlight is either the best or second-best fantasy series I’ve ever read, depending on how I feel about Tolkien and the Craft sequence that day. And it’s only three books in.

Sanderson’s prose is far too pedestrian for me to sing his praises. He’s a competent novelist, but a fairly mediocre published prose writer.

I liked the first book much more than the second,lol.

I like Shallan much more than Kaladin. Kaladin I just want to slap.

Schizophrenia is to some extent less exhausting than depression, sure.