Ambassador Joe Wilson, Former Republican

What’s the difference in the GOP from when you were growing up?

If you’re fiscally responsible, this is not your party. If you believe in a moderate foreign policy characterized by alliances, free trade and the ability to operate in an international environment, this is not your party. If you believe in limited federal government, this is not your party. If you believe that the government should stay out of your bedroom, this is very definitely not your party. In fact, I would argue that unless you believe in the American imperium, imposed on the world by force, or unless you believe in the literal interpretation of the Book of Revelations, this is not your party.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/05/03/wilson/index2.html

Wow. A lot of mud slinging huh.

I’d say so. I’d also say that the Bush presidency is characterized by three things. The rise of neocon foreign policy (the American Empire - and neocons have written many articles discussing this concept if from different perspectives) married to the Christian Conservative machine (Bush is one and that’s where his footsoldiers are) with a big buy-in from multinational corporations (military spending, gunboat diplomacy, disregard for worker’s rights, protection from taxation, encouraging foreign labor markets, disdain for the environment and judicial intervention - what’s not to like?).

So, while Wilson is obviously a blood-boiling partisan, for perfectly understandible reasons, he also isn’t exactly crossing the line of misrepresentation here.