AMC's Into the Badlands - Motorcycle Ninja takes on Feudal Barons in the West

Intriguing. The guy’s name isn’t Lyle Swann, by any chance, is it?

Do explain! What’s different about Asian plot/pacing compared to Western shows?

An hour later you feel like watching it again?

I’m going to keep watching for now, but the motorcycle has to be used more. Even in westerns the guy’s horse can have his own personality, this guy’s motorcycle needs to get worked into the action every now and then.

I think someone needs to do a study into Baron gun control laws. Obviously, they know how to do it right, since they’ve successfully made it happen, full stop.

A couple things that I’m curious about:

1. the first set of rogues had a surprisingly high level of skill and very little respect for a cutter. It’ll be interesting to see how “elite” cutters are viewed in the Baron society. Are they beat cops or special forces?

2. they referred to Sonny as “regent” at times. Not sure if he actually wields any formal power. Given his austere cabin, he seemed to be considered more of a high level servant than anything else.

Generally speaking, across a spectrum of ‘story’ versus ‘character’ I think that the Chinese cinema in particular uses the story or the plot to develop the character. Whereas in western cinema the characters are expected to tell the story. As for pacing, I feel that western shows (movies, television) play to an audience that expects disparate story arcs and take a meandering route to their conclusions. Asian less that, more cut to the chase; I think a common western ‘complaint’ of some Asian storytelling is that it is too heavy-handed, not nuanced enough? This is a clumsy way to explain what I feel to be cultural differences and I’m saying that one is better or worse.

Second episode was more of the first in many ways. Even better action, even less reason for it being carried out. I’m still waiting for the central conceits of the show to be at least vaguely explained. Also, I would like to know how one youngish guy manages to get the most loyal followers to betray their lords in less than 24 hours of meeting them. Maybe that’s a special power, too? And as a further aside: one would think that if there’s just this small cluster of survivors (from what, we don’t know), that the barons and independent merc leaders would be at least a little more careful with expending their manpower.

Well all of those issues are a problem if you let them be. Yeah, there’s a lack of logic in how disposable the people are but this is a fictional place where suspension of belief is kind of necessary in order to deliver the type of narrative they want. Its a clear flaw but only important if you let it be. Im enjoying the show. The fights are a lot of fun and staged quite well. This episode established without a doubt that Sonny is an incredible bad ass. The closing fight was excellent. I think the basic story line is fairly clear. A star crossed hero in an immoral world has to choose between his Baron and his family. What going to be interesting is how they further dress it up. Im going just enjoy the show for what it is and try not to tear into its logic too much.

Saw epi 1 only… what a great pilot. Looking for more…

I think you misunderstand - I enjoy the show, but that doesn’t stop me from pointing out its shortcomings. I do the same with The Walking Dead. I did the same with Firefly. While my individual voice is pretty much meaningless to the genre, if joined in a chorus of millions who feel that way then eventually, perhaps, we’ll get better show quality. And yes, to your point, I did say

when talking about the second episode.

Throughout the first episode, I kept waiting for them to, like, go INTO the Badlands…then in the second episode, it is mentioned they are already IN the Badlands. I just can’t get over all the fields and crops and trees and perfect mansions everywhere. This kind of makes me think more of Georgia than, say, a post-apocalyptic world or some other inhospitable land.

Is the intent of the show supposed to be that the area controlled by the Barons is considered the ‘Badlands’ because the Barons rule it as dictators and not because of shortages of food, water, and shelter? I feel like this should be called, “The Not-Really-So-Bad-Badlands-Except-For-Them-Barons”.

Yeah, we are basically saying the same thing, Im just a bit more laid back about the problems with the plot. Ive ruined my enjoyment of shows before due to being over-analytical. My comments were more “I get where your coming from and this is how I handle it” than a critique of your point of view.

And yep, its hard not to appreciate the fight scenes they had in episode 2. They opened with a great bar brawl starring The Widow and then closed out with Sonny being totally amazeballs.

Yup - looking forward to seeing how this turns into a full-scale war (or doesn’t - who knows?).
for those who haven’t caught up, yet

I suspect we’ll see Tilda & outlander kid (can’t stand the name “M.K.,” but I’m guessing we’ll get a real name soon) pair off at some point, and probably turn into a dual-edged killing machine. What I’m really wondering about is how they’re going to keep the story contained. Quinn is living on borrowed time in more ways than one, and his son doesn’t seem to have the wherewithal to run the joint when he’s gone. That makes it seem like an escape will soon occur and then we’ll see a series of on-the-run episodes. That’s fine, but the scenery and layout of their current locales will be missed by me.

This has just gone up on Amazon Prime Instant Video in the UK, FYI.

I just caught up with the first two episodes on Amazon Prime and while I’m not a fan of stylised martial art fights, I’m quite enjoying the post apocalyptic story, so I’ll carry on watching for a while.

Thanks, shall take a look as soon as I finsh gorging on Castle seasons 1-6 finish on Prime at the end of December, I am about to start Season 5.

It’s fun, and fwiw it’s getting a bit better as it goes.

edit - just be really comfortable with suspension of disbelief

I enjoy watching it, but I have this suspicion that you have Marton Csokas located in his baron outpost, and that ties down the show to that location. So the kid and company won’t ever manage to travel anywhere of interest.

According to Daniel Wu, Into the Badlands has been renewed for a second season.

I’d say that’s good news, but the Facebook page they linked to now says

This Facebook post is no longer available. It may have been removed or the privacy settings of the post may have changed.