Amd 4870 x2

I have a simple question for those of you who are more knowledgeable than me when it comes to video cards. Will the AMD 4870 X2 work with dual monitors? I currently use dual monitors and you would have to pry the second monitor from dead body before I would go back to a single one. I probably will never buy the card, but was merely curious. Also what does dual link DVI mean?

The card will definitely support dual monitors while not gaming. Unlike SLI which requires a manual software toggle, the X2 will seamlessly move back and forth between gaming as a dual-GPU card, and desktop use. I’m not certain what happens while in-game though. I think it may disable your secondary display while in-game, but I haven’t read specifics.

Dual link supports resolutions up to 2560 x 1600, while a single link DVI connector maxes out at 1920x1200.

Thanks, I was kinda hoping that it did support dual monitors while gaming. I use my second monitor for all sorts of things while gaming, like hints, email and watching tv. I’ll probably never buy it ($500+) but one never knows. If the prices drop alot I just might. I’ll most likely get a 4870. Haven’t decided if I’ll get the 512 meg or the 1 gig model.

I feel the same way about my secondary display, and it’s why I bought the fastest single GPU solution, a GTX 280. Currently around $410.