AMD/ATI Radeon 6800 series

Anyone know what the “APP” version of the drivers are?

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

APP=“accelerated parallel processing”. I believe it’s AMD’s first public driver with full OpenCL support for GPU compute.

I’m running a very useful 4890 which i’ve loved, and has been by far the best card i’ve ever owned, but it’s so loud i’m sometimes tempted to sell it all off and buy a high end iMac, if only they had a less than anemic card on even the highest end model. Hopefully this next generation will provide me some options that aren’t quite so vacuum cleaner loud.

From someone formerly obsessed with silent PCs, the 5850 is quite nice at idle in 2D.

Quite nice crossfire scaling.

I ordered a 6870 today to replace my 5770 which at 1900 I could see some slow downs in the games I played. Very excited to see what this new card can do.

Got my 6850 today. Yeah!

The MLAA option isn’t showing up for me in Catalyst though.

You need the 10.10c hotfix drivers to expose the MLAA setting on the 6800 cards.

10.10c? Gahh. I had the same problem when I got my 6850 yesterday. I followed the link to the 10.10a hotfix, that link actually downloaded the 10.10b hotfix. What else does c do?

so annoying!

This is the price you play for riding the bleeding edge. It will all settle down in a driver rev or two. ;-)

So I got my 6870 today only to discover that the card requires two 6 pin pci-e connectors and my power supply only has one. It is a shame that the card didn’t come with an adapter so I am going to have to take a trip to frys to get one.

Really? That’s odd. My Gigabyte 6850 only requires a single connector, but it did come with a splitter/adapter. Though splitters obviously aren’t helpful off the same rail, it can be used off another.

That’s right, the 6850 needs one PCIe power connector, the 6870 needs two.

AMD wasn’t planning on releasing MLAA until Cat 10.12, but people figured out how to hack the option in to the 10.10a hotfix, so AMD quickly pushed out 10.10c with it exposed.

Happy I didn’t get a 6870 then!

How’s the performance of the 6850 compared to the 5850 and the 6870?

The 6850 is a notch below the 6870 (you’ll never see more than a 10 FPS difference in modern games) and a hair slower than the 5850 (but I’d take the 6850 over the 5850).

Yeah, there are some benchmarks which actually show the 6850 slightly overtaking the 5850. The 6870 is roughly 20-30% faster than the 6850 depending on the benchmarks you look at.

As for 6850 to 5850, there might not be a huge performance difference, but the power usage and price are much improved.

Finally got the card up and running with the adapter I needed. Not seeing a huge improvement in WoW over the 5770 at 1900 but it is a nice little bump. The card does not seem to be as loud as my 5770 was either.