AMD Ryzen discussion

Well for anyone interested I finally gave up. While benchmarking apps showed a 15%-20% performance penalty (which sucks but for me is livable) some games I tried (like Grim Dawn) went from 60fps native to 15fps. The cause of both (the 20% and the gaming degradation) is apparently a bug with the Linux KVM Hypervisor and Ryzen.

The other Linux hypervisor (Xen) was supposed to get me much better performance (due to not having that bug) but the version that comes with Ubuntu doesn’t support Ryzen, and building the newest versions wasn’t working for me for whatever reasons.

Since the KVM bug is a software bug that can be fixed, I’ll probably try again in another 6-8 months (I have the hardware so why not) but for now it’s windows native with a Linux VM for me.

Fuck me. I spent so much time trying to get the GPU passthrough setup I didn’t really do basic stuff with the processor, like Gaming.

It all started with me having hard locks when running the Unige Heaven benchmark. 100% of the time it would get to this one spot and my whole computer would hard lock with the display going black. Even in a virtual machine it would go black, and eventually my Linux host would freeze (though not right away, and if music was playing with spotify the music would oddly keep playing).

3dmark would run fine so I thought it was just a weird issue with the Heaven benchmark (dumb assumption I know) but I ignored it. Fast forward to today where I’m playing Grim Dawn and the same thing happens.

I know it’s not my video card, because I’ve had this R9 Fury for almost a year now and never had an issue. I do some gooogling and find instability with original batches of Ryzen (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=new-ryzen-fixed&num=1) where Linux users could easily reproduce a segmentation fault compiling GCC over and over again (https://github.com/suaefar/ryzen-test). I run this test and lo and behold it fails within a minute :-/.

The processor has 1726SUS on it, which apparently means it was made the 26th week of this year, so it’s one of the early batches. Sent an email to AMD and hopefully they replace it quiickly without hassle :(

Damn. Sorry to hear about the bad luck fighting the bleeding edge on this one. GL.

I’ll give props to AMD customer service at least. I emailed them Monday night with all my info and saying I think I have the early batch seg fault bug. By the time I woke up they gave me an RMA form to fill out. Wednesday morning I woke up with a fedex label and mailed it off. They received it thursday and my replacement came today (Friday). Unfortunately, I was on the way out the door to go out of town when it came so I haven’t been able to test it out.

Hey look!

Judging from our results with the i7-8700K, we have a meaningful change from what we’ve come to expect from Intel. Its flagship processor gets a jump in core/thread count and the numbers show how much of an improvement it makes in CPU-heavy tasks that are able to leverage more than four cores.

However, there isn’t much to point to when it comes to performance in gaming, since games are heavily reliant on the GPU and aren’t geared to take advantage of more than four CPU cores quite yet.

You quoted yourself from May saying something that literally no one on the thread disagreed with just to pat yourself on the back?

Who in the world was claiming that a 6th core was what they really needed for 4k gaming or whatever?

Hey guys, just because Coffee Lake supports 64GB of RAM and that can be useful if you have a lot of virtual machines running or other RAM intensive tasks, having 64GB of RAM will not matter for running Overwatch.

I will quote myself in 6 months when history proves this bold statement prescient.

Skylake has supported 64GB for quite some time and it was the first Intel consumer chip to bump the limit from 32GB.