AMD to auto-update drivers via Steam

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

Because the Steam version doesn’t come through as a compressed package.

Most of the changes in versions are to accommodate new games coming out? That said, I’m with the people who don’t update video drivers unless a new game don’t work so well

I dont get that.

There are APIS, called directx and opengl. They have EXTENSIVE documentation.
Developers should write to the API, and driver writers should optimise to the API.
These days, developers code their own funky quirky stuff, and then the driver guys tweak their drivers to fit whichever game is most hyped.
I’d much rather be left able to code to the actual standard, rather than having to guess the way the next FPS is coded, and copy them.

That’s explanation makes sense. But it doesn’t make sense why the Steam delivery would be uncompressed.

Anyhow, it worked. My system didn’t blow up and I’m now on Catalyst 10.9. This method feels strange; I followed the Old Way of uninstall, reboot, installing new, reboot. Update with virtually no intervention from me and no reboots makes me feel like something must’ve gone wrong.

I’ll get used to it.

So how does this work? I think I’m on Catalyst 10.7 and have the latest Steam client but It’s not complaining and I don’t see any way to force a check.

just go get the drivers from amd’s site.

the new drivers don’t make you reboot half the time. that’s not due to their fancy new steam delivery method but due to what files the drivers modify.

But that would defeat the whole point. I want to make sure Steam’s auto-update is working.

I just did it and it auto installed for me. It required a reboot to take effect, until I did it said I had no driver installed and my resolution went to 800x600, but since I rebooted everything seems fine.

You didn’t click OK or anything? You just started up steam and were forced to reboot to get above 800x600?

No. You have to let it start the download then start the installation which then uses the standard ATI installer.

Right, that’s what happened to me too. It couldn’t install unless I let it, it didn’t “autoupdate”.

That’s the extent of it.

New drivers for both ATI and NVIDIA cards are released fairly frequently on Windows Update, but they’re usually (deliberately) a month behind, probably to avoid any problems that come up and in case there are quick hotfixes. They don’t include the CCC, but they are definitely the “real” driver, not some weird version.

They’re labeled as Optional updates, meaning that you don’t get them automatically installed no matter what your settings are and instead need to open WU to get them.

The exception is for when you only have the generic driver installed on a brand new Windows install. In that case, the latest real driver from ATI/NVIDIA will be automatically downloaded and installed.

Ah, didn’t know that.

Up top in the Steam menu there should be a “check for video card drivers” selection.

Graphics drivers haven’t required a reboot in Windows since Vista, when the AMD driver’s ask you to reboot it’s to update the Catalyst Control Centre.

After I pulled down the latest update for my ati 5770 from steam, the image quality on the desktop became worse. Is it maybe because I’m connected to the monitor via hdmi-hdmi? I’m going to try dvi-dvi tonight.

it probably broke underscan. check your underscan settings so that the zoom is filled out to its maximum 1:1 pixel ratio for your physical pixel count.

if you install 10.9b it will fix and save the underscan settings on a dvi/hdmi (digital) connection.