American McGee's Alice: Soon to be a major motion picture

A dark and edgy major motion picture, that is!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2004580002-2005280454,00.html

Yeah, they’ve been talking about this for years now. I’ll believe it when it’s released, but it’s interesting that they’ve actually signed an actor.

I want that movie to DIE

Interesting casting choice, hope she looks good with a dye job. Christina Ricci, Selma Blair, Thora Birch, or Pauly Perrette weren’t available?

From the article

The game was released in 2000 and became a worldwide best-seller.

I’ve seen the numbers on this PC action game and my reaction is “uhhh, no.”

Having said that, I actually enjoyed Alice despite OMM’s hatred of all things pseudo-edgy.

McGee says that Alice sold over a million copies. This was over five years, of course, but if true is pretty good.

Troy

I find that very difficult to believe, unless it got bundled with something.

Well, I could certainly be wrong, as the numbers I saw were from about a year ago and they weren’t close to a million. I know the PC product was soon discounted at retail after its ship, so in terms of units sold I suppose 1M is possible after nearly 5 years and all territories.

[quote=“Jim_Preston”]

Well, I could certainly be wrong, as the numbers I saw were from about a year ago and they weren’t close to a million. I know the PC product was soon discounted at retail after its ship, so in terms of units sold I suppose 1M is possible after nearly 5 years and all territories.[/quote]

Like Ben, I’m not sure I believe it and they were certainly not all at full price. But anything north of 500k has a good claim on being a “best seller”, even if it never topped sales in any given month, IMO.

Troy

I recall seeing copies of it in bargain bins all over the place. I’m like Ben. I find it hard to believe unless there was soem sort of bundling deal.

They shoulda gone with “critically acclaimed” instead.

Alice has been on shelves and priced in the $10-$20 range for a long time now. I’m kind of surprised it still gets so much shelf space in places like Best Buy when newer games get pushed off, but I guess the game’s hook is good for marketing and moving copies at that price point. And that’s fine by me, because I really liked the game.

Oh man. SMG is starring in it, as a redhead. Now I have to see it and complete my filthy SMG primary hair color fantasy (anyone ever see the video for STP’s “Sour Girl?”).

stink.

I dunno, for some reason this role just seems to cry out for Christina Ricci to me.

Ricci I think is perfect for it.

SMG as a redhead for the movie? What? Alice in tradition has blond hair and in the game she’s a brunette. Where the hell did red come from?

— Alan

Yes… with the sound off.