American McGee's Scrapland demo

link

Other than the bad voice acting and crappy script, it’s like someone put American McGee, Descent and Heavy Metal (the movie) into a blender.

Meh.

…it’s like someone put American McGee, Descent and Heavy Metal (the movie) into a blender.

Umm, this makes me want to download it.

-Tom

I notice a lot of publications giving American McGee the credits for this game. Truth is he just came on the project recently and had zero input on its creation. Enlight is (I’m pretty sure) what is left of Rebel Act Studios (Severance: Blade of Darkness) and who are the true creators of ScrapLand.

Enlight’s been around for about a decade. They developed Seven Kingdoms for Interactive Magic when I was there. They operate out of Hong Kong.

GamingGroove is reporting that the demo has been pulled from some locations (though FileRush might still have it).

I only got to play for about 10 minutes, but I really liked the atmosphere in this game. Visuals were quite nice, though the quality did vary a bit (when “outside”, characters were self-shadowing with real-time shadows; indoors, there are no shadows) but that’s a minor gripe.

Character animation in the game is wonderful. Each robot character is unique, and seems to have its own style of movement. Since I haven’t played much of the game, commenting on the actual gameplay would be a bit unfair. But so far, I like what I see.

Right now I’m wracking my brains trying to figure out a way for a game to sound more terrible. I mean…that doesn’t just sound bad–it sounds agressively, in-your-face bad.

Oop, actually the developers are Mercury Steam Entertainment, who are, indeed, largely the Rebel Act Studios personnel, and are based in Spain. Enlight are just publishing this, and helping to provide the McGee pimpage/patronage.

They brought this by on a press tour right before we left San Francisco, and it looked cool enough. GTA with robots, I can dig it. Little Messiah-style possession stuff, nice visual design, big worlds. Still, I can’t imagine ScrapLand managing to carve out anything more than a niche of a niche for itself in this year’s holiday market.

A lot of good games are going to get buried in the next few months, methinks.

Worse than Heroes of Annihilated Empires?

Right now I’m wracking my brains trying to figure out a way for a game to sound more terrible. I mean…that doesn’t just sound bad–it sounds agressively, in-your-face bad.[/quote]

I has to agrees with ya, Fred

I’d like someone to explain to me what is so great about this McGee fellow. Why does he have his name in front of the game title? Seriously, I’m not trolling. I looked it up and he made some levels for Quake and such. Is that his only claim to fame? Apart from Sid Meier, are there any other people who are so important that their name should be mentioned in the game title?

Bye,
Steven

I’d say that more people have downloaded the demo and are talking about a game that probably would have fallen off the radar relatively quickly otherwise.

Out if interest, if AMG really didn’t have anything do to with this, doesn’t it mean he genuinely is selling American McGee’s American McGee?

Chris Sawyer, who made Transport/Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Maybe I’m the only one to consider that funny, but “Peter Molyneux’s Project Ego” would have been too good to be true. ;)

That’s a great mystery. I think it’s mostly because he has such a memorable name.

Seriously, I’m not trolling. I looked it up and he made some levels for Quake and such. Is that his only claim to fame? Apart from Sid Meier, are there any other people who are so important that their name should be mentioned in the game title?

Hmm… Doug Church, maybe? I’d buy just about any game that he worked on.

I’d like someone to explain to me what is so great about this McGee fellow. Why does he have his name in front of the game title?

Wasn’t it a branding thing for Alice? Something like you couldn’t just copyright a proper name like Alice so they added his name to the title?

dm2 and dm4 is love

Will Wright.

Ah, that is an interesting take on it. Do you know of a source (like an interview), perhaps?

Bye,
Steven