American missionaries accidentally inspire Uganda to consider death penalty for gays

Oops.

For three days, according to participants and audio recordings, thousands of Ugandans, including police officers, teachers and national politicians, listened raptly to the Americans, who were presented as experts on homosexuality. The visitors discussed how to make gay people straight, how gay men often sodomized teenage boys and how “the gay movement is an evil institution” whose goal is “to defeat the marriage-based society and replace it with a culture of sexual promiscuity.”

Now the three Americans are finding themselves on the defensive, saying they had no intention of helping stoke the kind of anger that could lead to what came next: a bill to impose a death sentence for homosexual behavior.

Mr. Kaoma was at the conference and said that the three Americans “underestimated the homophobia in Uganda” and “what it means to Africans when you speak about a certain group trying to destroy their children and their families.”

“When you speak like that,” he said, “Africans will fight to the death.”

Did they underestimate it? Unless these missionaries were mind-bendingly naive about their destination, I find it difficult to believe they’d go into a place as superstitious and unstable as Uganda, tell the population that a certain type of person is a tool of the devil who wants to rape their children, and expect any other result.

Given that they’re coming from a mostly superstitious country anyway, it’s not surprising that they didn’t even consider the consequences of what is, essentially, hate teaching. I find it repugnant that people like this are allowed to attempt to influence cultures that are vulnerable in this way.

They should stick to learning from dubbed Magnum PI episodes.

Why is it an accident?

“accidentally”

If we could somehow figure out how to harness all that evangelical backpedalling we could solve the looming energy crisis.

This story is simply an example of why Grand Theft Auto games should be kept from people insufficiently developed to appreciate the consequences of their actions, writ large. Some people just don’t know when not to copy the attitudes and behavior of the fictional characters they adore.

I dunno, I think stuff like this would be less common if Christians actually did copy the behavior of their adored fictional character.

I like to think of Jesus as more of a reformed villain, like when Kang the Conqueror became Immortus. God became Jesus and helped the Fantastic Four escape from diabolical traps of his own design. Admittedly, the enormity of that retcon might make even Brian Michael Bendis blush.

Might.

And it’s this kind of paternalistic thinking that makes you no better then christian missionaries who feel the need to “save” everyone or those who used to talk about “the white man’s burden.”

Maybe we should hold the Ugandans a bit responsible for what happened in this case? Just a thought.

Maddow covered this pretty extensively if you want to dig it up on her site. Basically, the proponents of this legislation were citing literature written by a cook (who they were ascribing false credentials too as well). Supposedly a member of the family might have been involved as well, but it’s been awhile since I saw those reports.

Yes, we can blame Ugandans, but we can also condemn pastors like Rick Warren who go abroad to spread their beliefs comparing homosexuality to incest and claiming links between homosexuality and pedophilia.

Just to be clear, that is who we were condemning. I hope everyone understands Zeus’s side of the story, now.

I can’t believe no one mentioned my favorite quote…

So, yeah, gay people are the nicest people I’ve ever met, but they’re still going to burn in hell!!!

That’s how you can tell God’s straight. Because he’s not nice. Also, the colors of the sunset completely clash.

I love Flowers.

In a platonic sort of way. I don’t want to get killed by the Ugandans.

And the Holy Spirit is Rama-Tut! Or maybe the Scarlet Centurion.

While we are on the subject can you Yanks do something about the piles of evangelical cash flooding the rest of the world, eg, New Zealand? Our failure of a religious party gets funding from the US and they are hopeless (but noisy due to the cash).

Between the Saudis funding Islam globally, and evangelicals funding the world’s born again I am starting to miss good old fashioned easy going religion.

Blame England for running them out of their country to begin with. Australia got the criminals, we got the evangelicals. I think England needs to take the evangelicals back.

You are damned right. Your argument makes me wonder though: what did NZ get? The sheep farmers, I guess.