American Truck Simulator and its older sibling, European Truck Simulator

Re gamepad, make sure it’s set up as a gamepad, not a wheel, which it defaults to for some reason.

ATS 1.47 open beta is here - ownable gas cisterns, adaptive cruise control, auto emergency brake, sound, ui and map improvements:

Adaptive cruise control/auto braking will come in handy when I play ATS on my Steam Deck and I’m trying to drive while watching TV at the same time. :)

about the gamepad, i’d deactivate the steam driver thing too: it messed up the controls badly here when they tried to support it in this game.

The new update is supposed to have some real nifty things going for the sound. can’t wait.

Yeah, even on normal PC Steam messed up gamepad controls.

No idea what I did special but my 360 USB controller works fine.

works_on_my_machine.gif

You probably don’t use the silly Steam input thing, as we are saying.

I think it might be different for wireless controllers.

Probably not because I don’t even know what that is!

Steam has its own system that sits between controllers and games, which can be helpful for non-Xbox controllers that games don’t often natively support. A while ago Steam defaulted to emulating mouse behaviour with gamepads, which really messes up certain games that do natively support gamepads, including ATS/ETS. But I think it may be less of an issue in ATS with wired Xbox controllers.

It actually was with my own wired Xbox one: on top of not recognizing my configuration, it would not acknowledge the triggers as axis!
When I disabled the Steam input thing, thankfully, ATS reverted back to my former control scheme without me having to painfully reconfigure it. Brilliant game.

And ETS2 1.47. all of the same stuff, plus ownable livestock trailers and Germany rework.

I do like them keeping the engine in sync between the games!

California is getting a big makeover.

Is there a stated end goal with ATS?

The natural assumption is that they’ll eventually go coast-to-coast and border-to-border, but have they actually said that? They’re already powering through states which is really great, but I wonder if they’ll reach a point where they prioritise improving what’s already here (like this California rework) over expanding East.

With ETS they did both expansion and gradual reworking of the older stuff at the same time (and a one-off rescaling to align with ATS).

I would expect they’ll keep releasing new states as long as they keep selling .

The End goal is obviously to reach Alaska once they are done with Canada.

I hope they get through the flyover states as fast as possible.

Update 1.47 is officially out for both titles:

Update 1.48.

• Texas updates
  • Washington state updates
  • Electronic stability controls
  • UI tweaks
  • other stuff

How newbie friendly can ATS be? I have a retired but not at all tech savvy FIL, and if this can be really simplified he might like it.