American Truck Simulator and its older sibling, European Truck Simulator

Not even if it’s force-feedback?

Gamescom trailer: https://youtu.be/ficMiV3AfuE

Even thought it’s set in America, that trailer is so very Euro.

Still, I am SO down for this.

-Tom

What sort of weather effects will there be? I once drove through a blizzard in Colorado… I’d love to do that again, but this time in the comfort of my home. :)

53 seconds in. I thought they slipped up and showed Paris in the trailer, until I googled ‘eiffel tower in’ and the browser auto-filled Las Vegas. Guess I haven’t been to Vegas in a long time.

There’s also a Statue of Liberty and Sphinx in Las Vegas! Those Nevadans are tricky.

-Tom

Ok, just don’t get this. Watched a few youtube clips. What I gather - you drive from one location to another. Pick a cargo, and just drive from here to there. And that’s about it. Am I missing something? Are there any unexpected events that happen to create some level of tension or excitement? I spent a summer riding in the right seat of a trucker who moved a variety of loads (mostly furniture, office equipment, etc.) over a variety of states in the South. I didn’t drive, I was there mainly as summer help to help load and unload the trailer. I can’t quite get my head around this being a cool game.

It is difficult to explain. Verily.

This game lets you hop in your truck and drive the shit outta that cargo! AMERICA STYLE.

I’m gonna set up my PC next to the window so I can rest my left arm in the sun while I drive.

I’m going to go down to the truck stop and pick up a lot lizard.

It’s like Elite: Dangerous with trucks. Except instead of pirates you get red lights, which are far more dangerous for your income.

Spoken like someone who hasn’t played Euro Truck Simulator! Check out some reviews of the developer’s previous game. Some of us have articulated the appeal of these immersive trading RPGs in those reviews.

-Tom

Awesome. Mad Catz should make a peripheral for this.

-Tom

I’ll be surprised if these aren’t the first two skin mods available…

Next level parking!

In American Truck Simulator, the majority of cargo terminals has been designed to contain several alternate spots for dropping off trailers. Some are easier to manoeuvre into, some harder. The game will select one of the more difficult spots randomly, and this will be the spot at which you are requested to drop the trailer off during this particular delivery. But a fall-back spot will be also offered for the drivers who don’t feel up to the challenge (and there will also be an offer to skip any need for parking the trailer whatsoever, just as it was possible anytime in ETS2). There will also be varying XP rewards based on difficulty of the maneuvers needed to park the truck & trailer in the particular spot.

Challenge…accepted!

Hmmm…having started driving 18-wheelers about 2 years ago, I’m interested to see how they translate into computer games.

As they said in their update, the parking system is the same as it was in Euro Truck Simulator 2. That is to say, a pretty huge difficulty spike. As a guy who had to figure out how to dock manually in Elite when I was a kid, I enjoyed the challenge. The secret for me was to switch to a controller. But you could always opt out if you were willing to take a minor xp hit. They’re just giving you more options in American Truck Simulator. Hard parking (yes!), easy parking, or opt out.

-Tom

Do we know much about it yet? I’ll admit I’ve not been keeping tabs on this one.

Like is the idea for it to basically be a port of ETS2 to an American map?

Every time I log into Farming Simulator it occurs to me how amusing it would be to connect it to ETS2, dotting the farms from that game across the US map of ETS2 and getting the chance to haul produce, cows, wool, etc from those player run farms to city markets in ETS2.