America's healthcare insanity

Life expectancy/expenditure for health care over time.

Instead of two graphs they used the line to measure time for both of them.

Basically we spend twice as much money per person as most developed nations, to live 5% shorter lives. Yay us! USA USA!

Think of them like this:

Or this:

Meanwhile nurses are being fired due to permanent cut-backs in many major hospital systems including my own.

This lady is growing on me.

Growing on you? Come on, man, there’s room on the train. Climb aboard!

I feel like I can state this categorically: no one kicks ass with a whiteboard quite like Katie Porter.

Increasing the drug prices of a critical cancer drug, just to increase your personal bonus, thus more than likely pricing many cancer patients into bankruptcy or not being able to take it at all?

Is it bad of me to say that guy deserves an arrow in the head. I’m tired of this shit.

Health insurance execs always make me think of this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhA5GIx51Kg&feature=youtu.be&t=197

But, you know, in reverse. “If I had just denied cancer care to 10 more Americans, I could have had another car, but I didn’t!” <sob>

Anyone have hospital indemnity insurance?

Something new my company is offering this year, and they provided a solid 3 sentences in our sign up documentation as to what it offers. :|

So I googled a bit more, and here is whats on the Met Life website:

So is this something to consider?

That’s the thing that pays you a lump sum if you get admitted to the hospital, yeah?

I’ve used it. Worked as advertised. Worked out extremely well, actually, because I knew I was leaving the job in ~2mo and my wife was 7.5 months pregnant when open enrollment came up. So I got the payout while paying only two months of premiums.

Take that, Big Insurance!

Hey guys!

My insurance is free and awesome.

Why does the Democrat party want to take it all away from me so that Jose and Juanita can get free abortions?

Ehh, I feel that progressives push forward health care reform like it is some sort of magic bullet, when it is not. For instance, the Lancet estimates that M4A would only save us ~$500 Billion per year while preventing an extra ~80K deaths each year. See? Really not that big of a deal. It is certainly not something we would want to try while running record budget deficits each year. Similarly, progressives ignore the fact that M4A would make people pay extra money each year in taxes, rather than getting the completely free insurance that is provided by their employer.

No insurance is free. Any “free” insurance one gets from their employer is because your salary and benefits are lowered to compensate for it. You just don’t see it.

The same goes for any healthcare.
Nothing is free.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic & angry last night. But you are completely right. I just get triggered by our national conversation that never seems to move past the point of recognizing that increases in taxes would be offset by the decrease in payments to private insurance companies.

This platitude obscures the fact that there is a huge difference to individuals between socially-distributed taxation to provide free at the point of service healthcare and “free” (although I have never seen or even heard of a private employer providing zero-premium health insurance, which doesn’t mean it isn’t out there but I’m going to bet it’s extremely rare) employer-provided insurance, which is in fact part of your individual compensation and is being paid for by you in the form of lower wages than you might otherwise be able to command.

Even socially distributed taxation paying for healthcare isn’t free though, because that money is still “yours”. It’s still resources society could use for other things.

Congratulations, you won the semantic argument while contributing nothing to the discussion.