Amount of DLC released for high profile releases is getting a little absurd

I would suggest you not try and cross topics like this. They’re not related at all.

Aren’t we just having a discussion here or in the Epic thread? Can gamers not discuss these things even if there are bigger problems in the world (which most of us engage with separately elsewhere)?

What I have been finding slightly annoying are these “Why all the anger over something so silly” comments that people keep dropping into a bunch of threads lately. That statement could literally be dropped into nearly any thread in the QT3 Games section so it comes across as a bit empty. We all have different tolerances for this stuff, but I am not sensing much in the way of hate or anger, but perhaps annoyance or frustration and that seems reasonable.

Personally some of my favorite games ever follow the DLC heavy model.

Europa Universalis 4 is my most played game ever by a wide margin after all. CK II is brilliant and I have all the expansions. Total War is a top 5 series for me.

So what I’m saying is that I really like some DLC heavy games. And given I prefer depth and dislike most AAA genres these days, I’m ok with it.

I’m happy to have spent as much on Paradox games as I have, and I feel I have gotten value out of them. Paying $10-20 a pop and getting another 1-200 hours of one of my favorite games ever? Hell yeah sign me up! Better than than spending that same money on some disappointing AAA game I won’t like nearly as much.

Similar to this - I’d happily pay for a similar quality RinWorld DLC, same for Oxygen Not Included in the future, etc. DLC for these types of games (or, from these types of developers) tend to be all upside.

Do you mean Rimworld? Do they even have 1 DLC? And to be clear, the amount of DLC concern is probably not talking about 3-5 over the like or longer years… it’s the 100s of piddly stuff that requires a spreadsheet and a newcomer to sit down with some to tell them what might be worth their time if, say, they don’t want to spend 300 or 400 dollars for everything.

It’s not as if gold and complete editions… are new requirements either. They’d been around for years. It was a good way to enter a series late.

No, RinWorld doesn’t have any DLC, or plans for any afaik. I’m saying it’s the type of developer and game I’d gladly buy DLC from.

I understand it’s not the same frequency as PDX, so some difference there, just seconding that I’m happy to buy it for the right game.

For me that has included EU4 and Stellaris. I don’t think I’ve ever griped for the former. For the latter I’m mostly upset at bugs and lack of QA, rather than the price to advertised features ratio.

FWIW I neither work at paradox, or am responsible for steams DLC browsing user-interface.
And I had no idea that mentioning epic was only legally permitted witihn a dedicated thread… so I’m outta here, have fun.

I don’t think that was the intent. More of a ‘the EGS thread is a shit show, so lets not bring that bad karma in here’ type thing.