An innovative reinvention of Populous (Peter Molyneux's Godus)

Behold! Project GODUS!

GODUS is a delightful reinvention of the god game from 22cans and Peter Molyneux…

Molyneux? No thanks.

I’ll wait for an actual product and some reviews.

Don’t believe his lies.

Its the wrong game, he was supposed to do Magic Carpet…!!

I like how Rise of the Robots is in the “games we created” picture, stuck way in the back and almost completely obscured. Why would you even bother putting it in the picture?

I like how Molyneux can no longer get funding from major distributors, so he has to resort to Kickstarter.

We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I’m no different.

The dream at 22cans is to make gaming meaningful. We want to engage people in fresh new ways with accessible, delightful games and experiences. We’re calling them experiments.

Keep on dreaming.

“Delightful.” It’s “Delightful.” It says so on the page!

Has anyone mentioned popu…Oh.

I think Molyneux is well connected, and it’s not like he burned bridges to every single company in the business. To me it’s pretty clear that they’re on Kickstarter because it’s an opportunity for them to work on a project without any publisher being involved and able to somehow affect the process.

Backing this and Elite just to annoy people with my reckless optimism.

It might just be that no major publisher will fund a god game. They’d probably accept his pitch for Fable 4, or whatever.

Like most of you though, my default attitude is skepticism here. It’s been a long time since the days of Populous and Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital.

I’m pretty excited about this.

I can’t go for this, I don’t trust anything he says anymore. When it comes out I’ll look at the game unencumbered by his borderline lies/hype.

The thing about Peter Molyneux crying and saying he hasn’t got long left to live… that wouldn’t be a ploy to get people to back his project, would it?

Will back!*

Undiagnosed cyclothymia? It would make so, so much sense.

• No, I’m not trying to be a dick at all. It just fits kind of perfectly. But either way, I’m pretty confident the “creating myself into my grave” comment wasn’t intended to be understood as more than exaggeration.
    Maybe you should ask if yourself if you want him to be himself or a professional when he’s interviewed.

*As soon as I’ve convinced the SO that Kickstarter has died in a fire, so I’ll be allowed to use my own credit cards again :D

Sooo… I’m pretty sure Molyneux said something about them releasing a playable prototype. In fact, according to this it should have been released by Friday. Nothing happened.

And in the latest update they’re just talking about how they’re probably going to release a video of the prototype on Monday. Their Twitter feed doesn’t actually help either.

EDIT: Oh, so they actually never wanted to release a prototype. Right.

I guess I just don’t get the Peter Molyneux hate. Yes, he promises things he can’t deliver. Yes, the way he promises these things is ridiculous and over the top. I understand that. I think pretty much anyone who knows about Godus and Peter Molyneux knows this too.

Just seems like the guy takes a ton of heat for the fact that one of his games caught the games journalism cottage industry with their collective pants down. Black & White exposed some bad practices out there, and a bunch of reviewers and editors got caught, and the folks who followed them as readers and buyers sadly got caught, too. (Guilty).

I mean…yeah. Black & White fell apart after the first 5 hours. Fable never delivered on its potential. I get those things. I’m still glad someone out there is trying to do stuff like those games tried to do. (Hell, if it wasn’t such a toxic property now, I’d love for someone to go back and try to do what Black & White tried to do, using modern CPU and GPU power to do so. They might not succeed either, but it’d be cool to see them try.)

Let’s face it, if you’re taking the hype from the lips of a game designer or lead producer as gospel truth at this stage of the game, you’re kind of gullible. When Todd Howard extolls the virtues of the “radial AI” of NPCs in Oblivion, you realize an hour or so into the game that it just means that their NPCs act like the NPCs did in Ultima III back in the day. When he talks about the completely new engine for Skyrim or how they fixed the ugly faces in the game from Oblivion…well…let’s just say that he might be technically right, but that’s a bit open to interpretation. I don’t mean to single Howard out (I think I just have Skyrim on the brain at the moment), but all game designers do stuff like this, just few do so with the wide-eyed passion of Molyneux. Again though, anyone who knows Molyneux well enough to be attracted to something like his Kickstarter for a game kind of knows going in how big a grain of salt is needed to decode what the guy says.

Reading that, it sounds like the Ars Technica writer promised the release of a playable prototype, not Molyneux.