And I will form the head Voltron, Netflix edition

Ack, did they take off the Voltron Force show that was previously on Netflix? It wasn’t great, but my kids were in the middle of watching it.

Lance isnokay, but his best buddy Hank has all the best lines.

Hunk is my second favorite! :)

The lion-version Voltron was kind of like the Constructicons from Transformers: you have five robotic lions that assemble into a anthropomorphic nigh-unstoppable robot. The difference is that the Voltron robots weren’t sentient on their own, they were piloted by a Breakfast Club of paramilitary teens.

There was another Voltron series released in the US. That Voltron had many more moving parts and a larger cast to crew them, and was based on a spacecraft carrier, embroiled in an interstellar war against space-drow. Where the Space Voltron lacked the childishly simple characterization, the bright and friendly kitty robots, the comic relief quasi-intelligent mice who were also robot pilots, and repetitive plotting of the Lion Voltron, it offered a sprawling wartime epic, a space opera that sometime engaged in moral ambiguity, and a floating home base that found descendants in the TCS Tiger’s Claw, the USS Saratoga, and so on. I preferred that series, which to my childhood classmates was tantamount to saying I preferred the Sega Master System to the NES. Or at least I preferred it at the time. Now I suppose both series would be recognized as poorly-animated drivel designed to force understimulated children to beg their mothers to buy sugary cereals and cheap plastic toys.

Also perhaps Tranzor Z (as it was named on an US edited release).

So, a brand new series is coming out later this year.

Huh, another new series, or season 2 of the one that just aired?

Sorry, season 2 will come out before the end of the year. Does it count as a second season if both came out in the same year?

Just finished series 1 and looking forward to 2. Nice, entertaining series. Hunk is sometimes almost the secret leader of the group. Great, funny characters.

Still trying to push through this (and Stranger Things, while playing catch-up on Mr. Robot with the gf–she never started, and I only got halfway through S1), but everything I’ve seen so far has been awesome. A little kiddish sometimes, but I can deal with that for sick-ass robot-smash action.

I preferred the space Voltron as well, and had all the toys. I also loved Robotech, though, so I guess that explains it.

Just watched the first couple of episodes of Voltron: Legendary Defender on Netflix and I gotta say, they did a great job of capturing the feel of the original. As much as I remember it, anyway, from around 30 years ago. It’s cheesy, of course, but they’ve done well in updating the artwork and action to modern standards, and added enough little touches to make it fun to watch. Maybe the show will survive long enough that they can bring back the vehicle Voltron too!

My son discovered this - I thought it might be a little intense for him(he’s 4 1/2) but he loves it. Keeps telling me he’s the green lion - and of course I’m yellow lion Hunk, but that’s ok since he’s my favorite anyway (“Next time I get to be the head!”). Surprised it ends in a serious cliffhanger, my son was bummed by that. But sounds like season 2 is coming soon so, sweet!

Tell your boy he’s my kind of Voltron fan - I love me some green lion too!

New Seasons is back. I haven’t started watching it yet though.

My kids and I just chewed through season 2. Loved it.

Avatar and Korra are two of my favorite shows ever. Is there similar goodness here, or is an appreciation of Voltron required?

No need for Voltron appreciation. It’s a great show on its own. One of the Avatar writers is the head writer on this show.

I did find the first episode or two of season one a bit slow, but it picks up big time after that.

I didn’t think it was nearly as good as Korra, so I was little disappointed. Haven’t tried Season 2 yet though.

Season 3, Aug 4th.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80201503

Thank you