And now, your top 10 Qt3 Games... of the last decade!

In terms of list-uniqueness, I believe that @Brooski won, with 0% overlap that I saw (for fun, I followed along in Excel during the voting period, though I didn’t go back and update ratings when people edited posts I’d already read, since I was just adding all numbers up and didn’t therefore know which 10 pts came from which poster without starting over from the beginning).

I suspect there’s lots of other fun stats (e.g., most agreed-upon lists between two participants), but this week at work sucks ass, so I probably won’t get to play around w/ the data much.

Interesting. Of the TOP10 I played and finished 4 games, and have no interest in the rest (not in my taste).
For comparison, I asked on a czech gaming forum I frequent about game of the decade using same rules as here and the results were:

1. Witcher 3
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Life is Strange
  4. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  5. Fallout: New Vegas
  6. Portal 2
  7. The Talos Principle
  8. Red Dead Redemption 2
  9. Dishonored
  10. Last of Us

Quite different lists, but I am glad everyone can agree Witcher 3 is the best.
Of these I played and finished 9, so I guess my fellow czech gamers have taste more aligned with mine :)

Thanks for all the work guys, everyone’s lists in that thread are great and will provide some game explorations in the future that I would never have otherwise done. Rimworld being touted so highly by so many puts it on my to-do list next, it is actually the only game in the final top 10 that I haven’t touched.

Thanks for organizing this, guys! Not a big surprise who the big winners are, but it’s cool to see how it ended up shaking out.

Only one of my top ten games ended up in the top 20 and that’s Minecraft. But that’s what I get for being a pretentious indie guy.

RimWorld is not without its problems, but its great moments outshine its shortcomings; great moments being Little House On the Prairie meets Firefly, Johnny has to head out to the sand bags with a shotgun to defend everyone from the organ harvesters while Maurgrite is coming the other direction saving little Billy from a bear attack type stuff. Or else there might be some grim “fun” watching everyone die a horrible starvation death through a long winter after frost kills your outdoor harvest and your hydroponics farm explodes.

Like Minecraft, it owes so much to Dwarf Fortress. Like Darkest Dungeon, it suffers (for me) from having its metal parts exposed after so many hours of gameplay. By this I mean that after I become super familiar with all of its systems I stop viewing my pawns as people so much as a collection of digits. Lack of knowledge about the game’s systems is part of what makes it fun.

After ~100 hours I feel no need to return to RimWorld, but I will certainly return to Minecraft.

Mass Effect fans will never find agreement like this.

Absolutely, a great effort you two. I really appreciate the effort, you guys did a great job.

Even though it didn’t make my top 10, I spent a long time in that world, and had a great time with discovery and quests and just exploring. It might lack in mechanics but it makes it up in design. I think HumanTon said it best in the other thread.

A lovely write-up. Thanks!

Unranked votes counted 10 points each, ranked counted 25-20-15-10-5-5-5… etc. Everyone got 100 total points to award regardless of how they choose to vote. I thought maybe it would bias the results but there’s a good amount of both types of votes for all the games at the top, last I checked.

Thanks again to @Scotch_Lufkin for helping and for the fantastic write ups, I really appreciate it.

I think it’s remarkable that 5 of the top 10 games are already ported to a handheld platform, with one more apparently on the way.

At a glance it looks like 8 multi platform games, 2 PC exclusives and 0 console exclusives in the top ten.

Great write up, I am surprised RDR2 didn’t rank higher but it can be hard to get into maybe? The story and voice acting just blew me away but I can see people bouncing off the gameplay loop.

That’s a great Top 20 btw. Games I have yet to play in that Top 20:

Rimworld, EU IV, Crusader Kings II, Legend of Zelda: BotW, Fallout New Vegas, Life is Strange (only played through first episode).

Actually looking at the top 50 is great too, so many excellent games.

I thought it was on my list, but looking at my list I guess I took it off at some point, I think for Fallout: New Vegas. It’s honestly a better game than New Vegas in many ways, it was a really tough call. RDR2 is the best Rockstart game I’ve ever played and a titan in its own right.

This is worth noting, as I looked at this last night as well and there isn’t any single game in the top 50 that doesn’t deserve to be there, for various reasons.

Thanks @Scotch_Lufkin and @arrendek !

Great decade for games, I still have a few hundred to play and I’ll be all caught up!

:D

A sexy gray-haired plonker!

Everyone forgot about Titanfall 2.

Again.

I loved me some Titanfall 2 but I didn’t think it was good enough for my top ten.

I thought the game was way overrated as well, for some similar and some separate reasons.

I thought the controls felt incredibly clunky. I thought the story was drastically overrated - way too much exposition. And I absolutely hated the “now you control Ciri” portions of the game.

I would much rather play something like Skyrim. I similarly thought that Horizon: Zero Dawn was overrated. I like generic fantasy where I’m playing a game, not a story book with clunky controls.

Of course it’s all personal preference, and to each his own. But I’ve never understood games where you are essentially watching someone else’s story play out. I’ll read a book or watch a movie if I want to see people act and give exposition. If I’m playing a game, I want the gameplay to be front and center.