And now, your top 10 Qt3 Games... of the last decade!

Absolutely.

Bloodborne you have to be too perfect, or just avoid them, hence the bypass door. (that has to be opened during an earlier visit)

This list is much more to my tastes, ie better! ;)

If you don’t vote you don’t get to complain.

I didn’t forget TF2, but ten is a pretty small list for an entire decade. Next time let’s do top 50.

Yeah. Not complaining. Just noting. :)

Or, you know, go for 100. For all time.

I’m in.

Or we could update CGW’s Top 150 Games of All Time.

Boy, THAT was a fun one to put together. Weird to see it cited as a list of retro games now, since I remember those meetings well…

Heh, not surprising, since this board is the spiritual sequel to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic

Could you add headings to your post? Everything just kind of blends into one other.

I’m not sure I follow?

Just add some bold headings announcing #9, #8, etc. please, thanks.

I know it ended up not being the game of the decade here at Qt3 because there’s something wrong with us, but here’s Tim Roger’s argument for why it was the game of the decade, I’ve got it to the right time stamp, I think:

I hope he’s right that Dark Souls will end up being the most influential game of the 2020s, even though we’ve had just Jedi Fallen Order so far where the designers were clearly influenced by Dark Souls.

Qt3 is kind of like Dark Souls too if you think about it.

There is nothing wrong with this place: Dark Souls didn’t get the game of the decade because everybody agrees here it is the best game of all time and thus can show mercy for pathetic games like Skyrim.

And I hope developers stop being influenced only by Dark Souls’ combat syetem and difficulty and start being influenced by everything else about the title. I’m just tired of the same old formula game after game ever since Dark Souls became memefied.

I love most of the Dark Souls series (DS2 can screw off), and I can understand why the Soulsborne games are so influential, but there’s more to love than just the same old difficulty and the same old combat. I can do without more of those for at least five years.

I thought the whole point of being a Dark Souls fan is that you like pain and losing? So it’s completely appropriate that it lost game of the decade, then.

Indeed. Some underappreciated areas that I hope get more traction among game designers is making a game where the player skill gets better over the course of the game. Where the exploration is really well designed with a mixture of danger and wonder and doubling back and moving forward, of feeling more and more risk as you explore further away from safety and the relief when you find more safety.

God, I would love those principles applied in an Assassin’s Creed game, for instance.

I’d like a Souls-like without the RPG elements. I don’t want to faff about with an inventory or design builds. That part of the game is tedious and when I try to re-engage with the game is what pushes me away. What I remember is the cool environments and cool boss fights and cool exploration and folding geography and cool thematically revealed narrative.

Is it still a Souls-like if you get rid of the repetitive trial-and-error boss fights? Because that’s something I’d genuinely like to play.

Think of it as a hundred small Dark Souls games with each one having a slightly different build.