And the award for worst awards show goes to

Gamespot.

Finding out the winner for their awards is like pulling teeth. The only thing worse than bad dialogue on awards shows is when it’s purposefully bad dialogue delivered by people with the charisma of a dirty sock.

Why the fuck can’t it all just be on a page where I can read the details? Why do they subject me to this horrible attempt at ‘humor’?

I’m debating whether or not it’s even worth it to try and finish watching all of these. They really are truly horrible.

I thought it was funny that their dubious awards clips ended with booing, because the clip itself always ended on a \m/joke\m/.

Obviously they are doing something right if you’re actually watching it.

That’s the most backward logic ever.

I’m watching it because I can’t read it. I respect gamespot on average and I think it’s interesting to see what they decided. Unfortunately, the only way to do that is to watch the videos.

Wanted to read it too but all I get is a stupid video window popup. No thanks.

Not here to make excuses or apologies since the format is intentional. Just noting that on Sunday, all the award pages will be updated to spell out the winners. So if you can’t be bothered to watch the videos, feel free to come back in a few days and you’ll get the HTML presentation you expect. The delay on this is basically because, opportunity for failed humor aside, we wanted to make sure people saw the finalists and not just the winners, and got some context for each award, like why the winner won.

What’s with gaming websites now feeling the need to create videos of their opinions and bad jokes rather than just writing? Guys - you’re writers, not TV journalists. I don’t need to see a grainy video of you talking to a camera.

I agree. It’s borderline insulting.

What, exactly, is the demographic you think you’re appealing to with this stuff?

I don’t think I could name one person of all the people I know (even the simple ones) who would actually enjoy this.

What kind of person would walk away from this and say “Man, those Gamespot guys are hilarious! I came for the reviews, but I’m staying for the awkward on-camera personalities and the humor!”

That would be the “not us” demographic.

• Alan

Well, ha ha. I watched the videos with the sound off, just long enough to see the banner for the winner.

I can read a lot faster than your staff can speak to the camera. Stop wasting my time.

I actually like video features, for the most part. I think that there’s a big opportunity there for them to do something that print magazines cannot do.

In my opinion, though, Gamespot should take the IGN approach and just have voice overs instead of the staff actually talking into the camera. Not to say that they appear socially awkward, but you know, they don’t have the most vibrant personalities.

I’m betting that this is the first time in Internet history that these words have been strung together in this way.

Troy

I’m betting that this is the first time in Internet history that these words have been strung together in this way.

Troy[/quote]

true. true.

Personally, I love the videos. I watch almost every video podcast or such that I can. The most camera friendly person Gamespot has is Jeff Gertsman and they don’t use him enough. I’ll watch IGN’s, but they aren’t nearly in the same league as Gamespots’. I even watch Digital Life with our own Jason Cross and I’ve watched all the episodes to date of NerdTV. Guess I’m just a video junkie. I listen to the audio podcasts in my car. I know, I’m quite lame…

Troy[/quote]

true. true.[/quote]

Google’d it. Quite true.

You lose: http://tcforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=86674&postcount=12&highlight=ign+approach

Whaddaya know. Someone said that IGN’s reviewing system is better that Gamespot’s way back in May.

I’m kind of tickled that you bothered to look, though.

Troy

Managed to crash firefox. Yay gamespot.

I didn’t believe RickH. For all of the IGN bashing that goes on, they do a lot of things right. That’s why they have the cash to keep buying stuff. I would not be surprised if there were more Insiders than there were Complete-ers.

Google it yourself: “Gamespot should take the IGN approach” gives no hits. The statement was:

Thus, it was a reference to whether this sequence of words had appeared, not whether anyone had expressed such an opinion in the past. What kind of a dipshit are you to think that you can Google that?