And the Oscar for Popular Film Goes To....

Wow. That category is going to be hilarious.

Fess up Qt3. Do you even watch the Oscars?

• Of course! Every self-indulgent Hollywood moment.
  • Once in a while…you know…not the whole thing.
  • No, and I really dig Film.
  • The Grouch?

0 voters

For some reason I’m reminded of Jim Carrey holding up his Golden Globe (?) for The Truman Show (?) and crowing, “Now I’m a shoo-in for the Blockbuster Award!”

I can’t remember the last time I cared about the Oscars. Maybe some time in the 70’s.

I just watched Saving Private Ryan after watching a bunch of war movies and Band of Brothers.

Saving Private Ryan is arguably the greatest war movie ever made. The fact that they picked the idiotic Shakespeare in Love over it (yes really) showed me the whole thing is a dog and pony show to promote certain movies, and it has little to do with art appreciation or love of film.

I haven’t watched it since then.

I will admit to being transfixed by the first 30 minutes Saving Private Ryan, but after that I think it is just your standard cliched war movie.

It showed how much power Harvey Weinstein had. Whatever shitty film he was promoting that year usually won, or at the very least, was in the short list of contenders. But usually won.

The final battle scene is at least as good. All the stuff in the middle is more standard Spielberg crap. Great cast though. Happily just bought this on 4K bluray to replace an old DVD on Prime Day.

Shakespeare winning was pure Harvey.

Everything after the first 30 minutes of SPR may have been cliche, but the first 30 minutes shook me to the core like I’ve never experienced before or since. To say it was revolutionary is an understatement.

And I know a lot of other people who felt the same.

I certainly had never felt that way watching a movie before. It was a completely new experience. The middle of the movie being a cliche was actually kind of nice, because it brought me back to the familiar movie-going experience I was more familiar with. And then the end hit me again with that final battle in the little town with the tower and the little bridge. I can close my eyes and picture it even now.

Oh wow.

How do you eve measure popularity?

Is it box office revenue? Metacritic score? Twitter engagement?

It’s a big Disney ad, man. 10 bucks says that it’s a Disney film. First…I dunno, 3 years.

Giving Disney its own category is far preferable to start seeing Black Panther competing for Best Oscar, so I am fine with this compromise.

The movies that the Academy lauds these days are so wretched and politically abhorrent to half the population that gimmicks aren’t going to restore interest in the Oscars.

They tried the same thing by throwing a bone to the worst Lord of the Rings movie (which did generate interest that year), and tried again by increasing the number of best picture nominees from 5 to up to 10 to be more inclusive of “popular” films, and yet they’ve driven away people in droves with their inane polemics; uneven playing field as evidenced by the streak of predictable genre-to-terrible Harvey Weinstein supported films that were heavily nominated and often won like Shakespeare in Love, Vicky Barcelona, Chicago, Cold Mountain, the Artist, English Patient; and heavy weighting of heavy-handed formulaic dramas or commercially niche genres like musicals while (at least until recently) being unduly punitive to sci-fi/fantasy; and the sheer lack of worthwhile adult dramas compared to even the 1990s, let alone banner periods like the 1970s and earlier.

And how does the “most popular film” not go to the film with the highest box office? The Academy is so ridiculous that they think they are going to stir interest in their vacuous awards by “independently” proclaiming which box office titan they deem to be worthy of lauding? There is ZERO chance that Black Panther won’t win this year and the creation of the award seems intended solely for that purpose.

Yeah, Star Trek: Into Darkness should have won Best Picture.

Not sure if a filmmaker would really want that “Oscar” since it sounds like a backhanded compliment.

Either way it’s become an insular circle jerk that most don’t care about anymore. Not to mention people getttng tired of the endless far left politics being inserted into speeches.

I haven’t watched the Oscars live since probably my teens. Awards ceremonies are bad in general, and the Oscars is a particularly bad awards show. On top of that, certainly for the high profile awards it tends to reward the wrong films (even setting aside longstanding biases against animation, comedy and foreign language films). Oscar-bait is a term for a reason.