And the Oscar for Popular Film Goes To....

The only thing that would make me watch Oscars is Ricky Gervais hosting.

Actually nah I’d just watch his segments on YouTube.

This is just a dumb idea. It’s not like millions of people who wouldn’t have otherwise watched the Oscars are going to tune in now to see whether Black Panther or Avengers wins this award, and it’s just going to annoy the people who do watch.

Plus Disney doesn’t need an award. Avengers made over $2 billion. Disney isn’t in the dark about how popular their movie was. It didn’t strain to find an audience.

That is definitely somewhat accurate. It is more about getting buzz going, which costs money for ads, billboards, sending screeners, gift bags etc. The Academy is a lot harder to influence, because it is such a large pool of voters, but a high money advertising campaign can make a big difference. Your small films won’t ever really have a chance, unless they blow up and go “viral”

The Golden globes, however, is much easier, as the HFPA (Hollywood Foreign Press Association) is a much smaller group to try to influence with dinners, gifts, etc.

The discussion of awards show marketing reminds me of this old article about the role of marketing and advertising in the Westminster Dog Show. Best in Show requires comparing dogs against completely disparate standards for each dog (“deciding which basset hound is the basset houndiest”). How do you even make that judgement? Largely, internalized bias from consuming advertising:

The award for least surprising backpedal goes to…

Christ, what a trainwreck.

So they didn’t discuss it before… heh. I think the last time I watched the Oscars was 7 years ago, roughly.

I think Matt and Trey fully put the Oscars in perspective:

Freely concede that I was thinking about myself during the second sentence.