And the winner of the 2014 Quarterlies is

There’s a lot of games I didnt’ get around to playing this year too (DS: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Dead State, Dragonfall DC, Endless Legend, etc.), but of the ones I played these are the ones I liked the best:

1. Dragon Age Inquisition.
    Even though there’s a lot I found lacking in the game (playing on hard the battles felt grindy, boring loot, crafting system that could use some improvements, cumbersome inventory system, tactical mode wasn’t all that), the stuff that worked made up for it (most of the characters, the beautiful environments, the sense that the Inquisition made changes to the areas they engaged). Also: How is it possible to screw up a fantasy version of the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer?

2. The Wolf Among Us (Also not sure if this counts, but 4/5 of it came out in 2014).
    I did enjoy TWD Season 1, but this game felt like a much better fit for the format. Excellent atmosphere, great art and music. Felt like what could have been an issue of the comic.

3. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor.
    I enjoyed the Batman-games despite the combat, and I preferred the first one due to the puzzles being more interesting. I found ME:SOE’s combat to be much better, the nemesis system was fun. I’ll even forgive it the bullshit sneak missions. Looking forward to whatever these guys make next, I think something like this with more meat in the quest departments could be quite a game.

4. Last of Us Remastered (Is this cheating? I guess so. Whatever.)
    I generally don’t play console games, but I played this at a friend’s. I think all it’s virtues have been better summarized elsewhere. Believe the hype, it was quite good.