And you thought Cheney did nothing

Dan Jordan, manager of Southern Pines Electric Power Association, said Vice President Dick Cheney’s office called and left voice mails twice shortly after the storm struck, saying the Collins substations needed power restored immediately.

Jordan dated the first call the night of Aug. 30 and the second call the morning of Aug. 31. Southern Pines supplies electricity to the substation that powers the Colonial pipeline.

Mississippi Public Service Commissioner Mike Callahan said the U.S. Department of Energy called him on Aug. 31. Callahan said department officials said opening the fuel line was a national priority.

Cheney’s office referred calls about the pipeline to the Department of Homeland Security. Calls there were referred to Kirk Whitworth, who would not take a telephone message and required questions in the form of an e-mail.

Susan Castiglione, senior manager of corporate and public affairs with Colonial Pipeline, did not return phone calls.

Compton said workers who were trying to restore substations that power two rural hospitals - Stone County Hospital in Wiggins and George County Hospital in Lucedale - worked instead on the Colonial Pipeline project.

The move caused power to be restored at least 24 hours later than planned.

link

I’m suspicious of this administration generally, but I’m not sure what this means, and whether the pipeline really was critical or not. Still, kind of interesting that this is Cheney’s first action (that I know of) with regards to Katrina. I also liked this:

Ready said the crew members did not learn they were restoring power to pipelines until after the job was done.

How did they feel about that?

“Is this on the record?” Ready asked. “Well, then, we are all glad we were able to help out.”

:lol:

The last part is hilarious.