Android - what's in your pocket?

Yeah, it took $25 off the top, making a phone that normally costs $199, $125. That’s a pretty great deal. And it’s actually a pretty nice phone; speed is comparable to a Galaxy S5 (2014 flagship) with a nice large 5.5" screen at 1080p, the same resolution and size as an iPhone 6s+.

16GB model is fine in this case as it has a SDcard slot and marshmallow marries it to local storage.

Ads aren’t intrusive, why not save the $50? Spend it on a nice SDcard.

Wonder how/if it would work if I picked it up in the US this summer and used it in Canada.

Also, can’t remember who it was, but here’s another $200-ish budget option for Canadians: LG X Power

It has a huge battery but anemic specs.

According to early reports, it’s trivial to remove the ads-- you just install a third-party lockscreen from google play. So that’s pretty cool.

Unconfirmed, but some posters are saying the bootloader is unlockable too.

For Canadian Prime Day today, the BLU Life XL-LTE 16GB is $145. The 8GB is $135.

Ugh. Looks like Blu never provides any monthly security updates much less a major version upgrade to the next Android release.

Update, installing a third-party lockscreen only works with the Amazon BLU phone. To disable the amazon ads on the G4, you need to run “adb shell pm hide com.amazon.phoenix”.

Also, it’s confirmed that the amazon G4 has an unlockable bootloader. So you will be able to flash the official Motorola ROM to get off the amazon update path, or cyanogenmod, or whatever you want, and of course you can root it too.

it comes with android 6.01 right? what month of security patch level, stusser?

That’s either one hell of an oversight, or Amazon is awesome.

I got mine, unlocked the bootloader, pm hid the amazon ad stuff, and now it’s a stock Moto G4. I tried rooting it and had some difficulty-- maybe give that a couple days.

I don’t know what the Verge was smoking, this is a very snappy little phone, easily as responsive as my iPhone 6+. Same size screen too, but less chin and forehead so it seems smaller. I really like it so far.

I do miss the fingerprint scanner, though. That’s worth an extra $30 to me alone.

Anyone know why the hell Sprint doesn’t have any sim cards that are compatible with the G4?

They probably just don’t have it listed yet, it’s a very new device.

No, I went into the store and they didn’t have one that’s compatible. They’re even sold out online.

I need recommendations for best cheap prepaid/payg carrier (mnvo or otherwise) in seattle area to use with the Blu/Moto. Anyone?

Can’t be verizon or sprint.

does the g4 have a gyroscope for pokemon go AR?

I don’t bother with the AR in Pokemon Go (you can turn it off). It’s a battery hog.

So, I am having trouble with the mic on my Axon Pro. It looks like speaker phone works, but no one can hear me on the phone when I am not on speaker phone.

I had the same problem on my Nexus 5 a while back. It was a loose connection that was nigh unfixable and only got worse and worse with every attempt to make it better. Ended up getting a new phone.

Hope it works out better for you. :(

My old HTC One M7 has the same phone mic problem - must be an epidemic. I am planning to finally replace it anyway. I might pass it down to our son, who wouldn’t be caught dead using his phone as a telephone.

Okay I take back my complaint about the QT3 forum being slow on Android 2016 with my SD820 OnePlus3 compared to my IPhone 6S Plus.

It was the Adblock Plus browser that was laggy in rendering it. Things are much faster in Chrome.

Galaxy Note 7 (yes, 7; they’re skipping 6 to “catch up” with the Sx line) fully announced today, released by month’s end. . .

. . . and it’s more or less a big S7 edge with a pen stuck in it. Same processor, same RAM, same graphics, same MMC, same camera, [almost] the same battery. It gains an iris scanner, and they fiddled with the shape of the rear glass. It maintains water resistance IP68, but loses removable battery from previous Note phones, more or less removing my only reason to ever buy a Note (I hate how goddamn big they are).

I’m not in any position to upgrade phones right now (haha oh God money why :( ), but this basically cements the S7E as the phone for me at this point, and I wouldn’t even consider it a significant upgrade over my N4, which I will in all likelihood keep another year or so.

But I guess some people might be excited by this thoroughly bland announcement, so. . . there it is!