Android - what's in your pocket?

You still have a Nexus 4?

He probably meant Note 4.

Yeah, Note 4.

Removeable battery, expandable storage, good processor/graphics for its age, large battery, good camera for its age. If the GPS and Bluetooth weren’t so janky, it’d basically have been perfect for what it was, and if it were half an inch smaller on the diagonal, it’d have been perfect for me specifically. Haven’t really seen anything since that comes close, sadly (the G5 seemed like it would until it launched w/ a bunch of issues and those weird-ass chin attachments).

That makes much more sense. I wasn’t thinking of Note 4, only Nexus 4.

Downloading Android 7 to my N5X as we speak. And for a while longer; it’s over a freaking GB.

I’m sure it will be life-changing. More improvements to battery life are welcome though.

Finally received the BLU R1 HD 16GB/2GB from my friend in Seattle. It’s an amazing little phone for only $60USD and runs quite well. It even handles Discourse/QT3 with aplomb on Android Firefox/Chrome.

I would recommend it as a dirt cheap travel phone/kid’s phone/parent’s phone for anybody. The display is nice and bright but the touchscreen response is a little naffy.

Didn’t even bother looking into rooting/removing Amazon ads on it. Not all that obtrusive.

Still no Nougat for my Nexus 6. Keep checking and checking. Still no Nougat. Hulk getting ANGRY!!!

Yeah, I signed up for the beta and got it that way

UBlock is much less of a resource hog.

My 6P screen cracked from a small drop. Digitizer is okay, but it seems to be another digitizer/screen combo. Fixability score is 2/10 and apparently very risky. I had the tempered glass, but it didn’t help much. I think those help with scratches, not much help against impacts.

I got a 5X replacement (the original phone I wanted anyway.) So much lighter and easier to handle. Those humongous phones are not for me.

Signed up for the Android 7 beta on my 6p, and it’s pretty slick. Battery life appears to have improved, and the overall look and feel is better, imho.

Seems as though the “beta” is actually just the final release at this point? But signing up gives you immediate access, rather than waiting for it to be pushed to you. And by immediate, I mean that literally one second after pushing the button on the website to enroll in the beta, the phone notified me to update. It was kind of weird, as I wouldn’t think it’d be possible for the bits to get through the tubes that fast.

The new doze mode should substantially improve standby battery life on devices you carry around in your pocket, yeah. Android and iOS battery life is now essentially equivalent.

Some of you may be interested, I was checking the data (storage) use on my Nexus 6, and Pocketcasts was at around 5Gb. The total of my podcasts actually downloaded was around 600mb. I searched online and couldn’t find a solution, so uninstalled the app, and re-installed, problem solved.

Also, those of you that have Quick Charge phones. Amazon has a good selection of Quick Charge 2.0 devices on sale. Probably because Quick Charge 3.0 is out, but from what I can tell, the big improvement was in 2.0 and 3.0 is a modest bump.

I have a Quick Charge external battery (supports QC in and out), and bought a car charger and a 5-port wall plug (only one QC, but the rest are 2.4 amps). Together these are a significant improvement and I wish I bought some of them sooner.

That’s awesome. I’m afraid that Quick Charge murdered my Note 4’s battery, though, so I’m actually on the market for an aftermarket battery >.>

Guh, I can never buy a phone that doesn’t have a user-swappable battery.

…and isn’t this the one being recalled because it sort of bursts into flames?

As it happens, so it is! Turns out they added that feature, too!

Well, the guy at Best Buy did say these phones were hot…

Has anyone noticed that hangouts has become dramatically less stable recently? Weird lagging, and it’s started crashing on my 6p. With the 6p, I’m not sure if perhaps it’s due to being on Android 7, but I’ve been seeing the same on my tablet.

My 6p hasn’t yet updated to Android 7 and hangouts seems perfectly stable.