Android - what's in your pocket?

Google is dropping hangouts in favor of the program.

What?

Sorry, I didn’t know the name. They are dropping hangouts in favor of Allo, and so there has been little support for it. It will probably get worse over time, as the lack of updates gets more apparent.

Ah, last I heard, word from Google was that allo is not replacing hangouts.

Not directly, but they aren’t supporting hangouts, so if you want video chat, it’s allowed or Skype.

And Duo is taking over person to person text chat (as if it can do so with 0% marketshare or name recognition in such a mature, crowded field…).

I think they’re moving Hangouts to be their business-oriented chat protocol, as a lot of the recent stuff about it (screenshots particularly) focused on corporate/education usage and they are pushing it heavily at the uni I work at.

My hangouts crashed yesterday on a 5x. I have August 5, 2016 patch. Android 6.0.1

Update on the $199 Nexus 5x/ project Fi promotion. I bought a 5x to replace a broken 6p. I paid $350-$400 at google store. They emailed me to say I qualify for the promotion and will be crediting the difference. Quite pleased. I assumed I wouldn’t qualify because new customers only is the rule for promotions.

Hangouts is still supported in that you can still download it, it isn’t like Google Wave or Reader. But yes, Google is pushing Allo and Duo over Hangouts now.

I looked at Google’s introduction to Allo/Duo and just…why? Why did they refuse to iterate or develop hangouts for years only to eventually launch TWO apps long after the boat has sailed?

Smart reply is detestable and the “hey look i can search for restaurants” seems to be the marketing team’s attempt to snag those sought after millennials because it has nothing else going for it.

Actually the contextual search stuff is really useful, and clever, but you are sacrificing your privacy by leaving it on. I don’t use it, and I do use Hangouts heavily, primarily for SMS to google voice accounts.

Other than not having to leave the app, what’s the advantage over google now? I used to use hangouts as default sms app but it was both slow and battery intensive.

Is Allo even out yet?

So friends, my beloved Nexus 5 fell top first into a kitty water bowl this morning. It kept working, but I’ve since turned it off so it can fully dry out over the next couple of hours. I’m hoping it survived the incident, but if I need a new phone, I could use some advice on which to get.

I’m on Sprint, and so far my eye is going toward the HTC 10, but if anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear them.

Thanks!

My Nexus 5x got an upgrade notification to Android 7 today! :D

The upgrade to Nougat has dramatically increased the battery life on my Nexus 5x. My phone used to completely die around 10 p.m. After upgrading, I have had no less that 40% battery left when I go to bed. It’s a nice upgrade in other ways too, but the battery life is the big one, at least for my phone.

Hangouts seems to be really fucked up since the “official” Android 7 downloaded onto my 6p, and another guy with a 6p here is seeing the same thing.

It won’t even start most of the time. It just goes to the splashscreen with the talk bubble, and hangs.

Pack it in rice to dry. Hopefully it’ll still work.

New Nougat “pixel” phones are rumored to come out soon.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I am very, very lucky, as my phone seems fine. Looks like the case got much of the water before any got on the phone, so letting it dry a few hours seems to have done it. Yay!

I’d be really sad if I had to replace my Nexus 5. I love the thing.

My HTC M8 is more than two years old, but it works fine. Except for the dreadful camera. I’m almost willing to get a new phone simply to get a better camera, as I find myself rarely using my nice digital camera and just snapping pics with the phone, only the phone takes lousy pictures. My wife’s Samsung 7 Edge has a much much better camera, but I do like the “feel” and construction overall of the HTC.

October 4, or so the tubes would have me believe.