Android - what's in your pocket?

My web browser and facebook both stopped working after the OS update. Nexus 5 whatever.

My 5x got the upgrade yesterday. Seems pretty good so far, although I think the auto-brightness is behaving differently, at least when I’m watching Youtube. Screen seems noticeably dimmer at times.

Everything else seems good so far. Haven’t noticed any particular difference in battery life, but I’m on wifi most all day.

That’s true actually - the Kindle app’s brightness seems to be off now. Cannot get it to stay bright.

It also looks like I’m finally getting bit by an Android bug with Do Not Disturb and Alarms. In Marshmallow I had no problem with DnD disengaging when my alarm went off, but now it stays on.

I think I’ve made a huge mistake.

A few months ago, I bought a Samsung A3 2016 after I’d been using an iphone for many years and I figured I didn’t want the apple ecosystem and an SD card would be a useful feature. Overall I’ve been happy with the phone and the wide range of customization that the Android system provides.

However, I’m REALLY ticked off with the notifications on this device. Perhaps you guys could tell me if this is a typical Android weak spot or a Samsung one OR due to me being a cheapskate and only buying a midrange phone

About 50% of the time I only get my emails, whatsapps, hangouts…etc notifications with a frustrating delay (30min or even 3hrs)!!

I googled around and found some indications that this might be traced to a “Mobile heartbeat interval” problem on android devices, but the suggested fix for that didn’t help.

Soooo… Back to my question: Is this a common android / samsung problem? Or do I need to toss this phone?

(I’ve deactived the app power save feature that might interfere with the notifications and also made double sure that push notifications are enabled for the apps that I want. btw The phone is still running Android 5.1.1, but I just got the info that I can install 6.0 - maybe that will be the magical solution to my problem?)

It not common to Android devices that I’ve owned, as far as I’ve noticed. I generally get notifications instantly.

Agreed with Timex; I haven’t ever really seen anything quite like that, except for the fact that my Note 4 doesn’t really check for notifications very often while connected only to my home wifi (all other wifi, and all data, behave as normal. Other phones on my home wifi also work fine. It’s weird. I just don’t use wifi at home anymore).

Anyway, depending on the version of Android (I don’t recall if it debuted with 5.1.1 or not), check to see if you have Android Doze settings, which might turn down sync frequency phone-wide.

Also make sure that yeah,

1. Power-saving/Ultra power-saving mode isn’t on, if you have those settings
  2. that wifi (if using wifi) isn’t set to sleep while screen is off (this’ll be somewhere in your advanced wifi settings, if your phone even has that option)
  3. Sync is turned on in your dropdown settings, if your phone has that as an option
  4. Background data isn’t disabled or limited, either per-app, or phone-wide, in your battery settings

And for apps that don’t use push notifications, check their individual settings to see if they have a check timer (for instance, my reddit app defaults to a 2-hour check, which is okay for me with that particular app). Gmail in particular should be push and nigh-instantaneous, however.

So, might just be a phone model thing, Cormac :(

Thanks for the infos guys!
I’m updating OS on the phone now, will go through the settings again afterwards. Really hope it’ll run better afterwards. If not, I’m not sure what to do, guess I’ll need to buy a new phone? perhaps go back to apple? (though I’m not giving up the phone jack!!)

Right, got Marshmellow installed, updated the apps, rechecked the notification settings / sleep / background data / sync, disabled Nova launcher & lock screen app and STILL not better. :(

Don’t suppose it might still be under warranty or returnable? That’s super weird, Cormac, and really, really not indicative of how the OS works (or, I suspect, how that particular phone is supposed to work, either).

How’s Coverage? Living in South Central PA, I find that my notifications are super slow if I’m up in the mountains.

Got 4G connection & this problem also persists with Wifi, so that can’t be it.

Really disappointed. Maybe I can flog it on ebay and get a few bucks back that way…
Question is, do I run back to apple or brave a different android device?

I have not had this problem in any of my many years on the Android platform. Sounds like a one-off, not that it makes it any more fun to deal with :(

Maybe I should just try a factory reset and see if that improves anything. sigh

There’s a lot to be said for the higher-tier Android devices–in the end, they’re the ones competing directly with similarly priced Apple devices. I have a lot of fondness for the Nexus line as showcase Android phones (and they’re a little cheaper than other flagships), but the Galaxy S7/Note 7 and new LG v20 all look nice, too.

Of course, pricier, but, well, them’s the brakes.

I still have to believe there’s some weird bug or rogue setting at fault here, though. Even other mid-tier devices I’ve seen behaved much better than that!

Yeah, i’m also VERY surprised that such a basic functionality that I would assume is a given on modern devices should just be broken. Even on midrange device, that should really work…

You can tell everyone that you don’t get email notifications immediately. Then it is a feature as it helps justify lack of immediate response.

More seriously what email app are you using? Try gmail or outlook.

Yeah… I know what you mean, but I don’t think I need that feature!

[quote=“Scott123, post:331, topic:77963”]More seriously what email app are you using? Try gmail or outlook
[/quote]

gmail! :)

So yeah, no clue anymore what might be going on here. Not sure which support I could fall back on: Samsung or my provider that sold me the phone.

btw the main reasons I got this phone was a) I wanted something smaller than 5inches and b) I don’t need that much from a phone - email, chats & maps, so do I really need to go for a top of the range model?

Well, apparently I do, since my needs are obviously way too hard core!

No idea if you’re in the position to drop $500 outright on a phone (I know I’m not!), but the Sony “Xperia _ Compact” line are really, really fabulous phones at or under the 5" mark. The new X Compact is hitting in about a week and looks pretty fabulous!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LACBLEK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01LACBLEK&linkCode=as2&tag=netbchoi-20&linkId=14bdca0b5bd3244700f2a61c599a99b6

I’m still mulling over my options. Not sure I’m really willing to give up the fight on this one just yet and $500 is more than I was hoping to spend on a SECOND new phone in such a short time frame.