Android - what's in your pocket?

My nexus 32gb 5x receives gmail notifications within 1 minute of them hitting my gmail account. It ran me $250ish a few months ago, might be the same now or even cheaper with the Pixel phones coming out soon. I have recommended the 5x to pretty much everyone I talk to. :)

And since upgrading to the Nougat OS, my battery last the entire day and 30% left, with moderate daily use.

My phone typically beats out the browser tab to notify me of new emails first. I’ll see the phone notification, click over to the browser to reply on my computer, and have to manually refresh the inbox to see the new message.

Yeah, thats how it used to work on my old iphone 4s as well. Maybe I’ll use that one again, though it is a bit sluggish these days.

The Nextbitt Robin is a small phone that should have nougat soon. Sadly no SD card reader, just 100 gbs of online storage

5X (32GB) is now $250 with project Fi. If you’re willing to use T-Mobile/Sprint carriers (they work well in NYC).

It replaced my 6P, i like it. It’s a tad slower than the 6P but damn the 6P. It was too big and unwieldy. People kept pushing the power button by mistake. It’s just awkward.

I love my 6p.
You must have donald trump hamsterhands.

I also love my 6p. I doubt I could go back to a smaller phone now… which given the cost of these large phones is disappointing to my wallet.

Maybe in a couple of years when my eyes start giving.

I shouldn’t be keeping the phone on the front pocket anyway. It presses on the sciatic nerve and I get pain in the butt. It’s not the 90s thought, not gonna use a holster like for beepers.

Funny thing.
I’m traveling for work today, and apparently you can’t turn on the Samsung 7 note at all, or charge it, on planes. They are all specifically forbidding it.

So that’s pretty shitty for business.

Well, yeah. They are prone to exploding. This is not a case of TSA overreach.

Why the fuck aren’t any of the newer compact Androids on Verizon. Guess I’ll have to keep waiting for an upgrade in the original Moto X form factor.

Samsung to Permanently Discontinue Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone
That might take a while to recover from.

Hate to think what it will cost them, but I think it is the right move. The Note 7 reputation is irrevocably damaged at this stage and no dot hardware release or updated firmware is going to budge that. No airlines are going to soften their position when it can’t be guaranteed a passenger’s phone is the right version.

If the Note series continues, I’d also suspect a significant aesthetic change to clearly differentiate it as well.

Yep, people are still talking about the “you’re holding it wrong” iPhone4, and that wasn’t even recalled.

htc/windows-phone are going to make a triumphant comeback on top of samsung’s bloated corpse, yo!

This is absolutely an opportunity for second-tier android phone OEMs like HTC, LG, Motorola, etc.

If I was those guys I would be very scared of Pixel, because they are utterly dependent on Android and it looks like Google will be giving Pixel new features and updates first, if not keeping them completely exclusive. Selling mobile phones is a huge component of their business and they truly have no option other than android. Amazon FireOS and Tizen have shown that it’s android or bust.

I don’t think Google will be doing that in a material (heh) way, but if they do, it would be poetic justice for the manufacturers’ approach to stock Android and updates over the years. They had the chance to give users contemporary updates and the features Google wanted users to have and they said no.

Yes, that’s why Pixel exists in the first place. Samsung made excellent quality devices (before we found out they all explode) but compromised the UI. This forced Google to vertically integrate to provide consumers a premium choice with stock Android.

Fi Group Plans.

$20 for the first line, $15 each additional, each GB of data is $10 but you get credited back whatever you don’t use.

If Ting wasn’t so absurdly cheap for us, I’d be all over that. Suppose I’d have to buy my wife a 5X too, heh.

Really illustrates what an absurd deal the $100 for 2 lines of Unlimited, full-speed LTE Data/Voice/Text + 5 GB tethering deal I got at T-Mo last winter is, if nothing else.

For a guy who routinely plows through 15-20gb/mo (and rarely tethers), stuff like Fi is egregiously expensive.