Android Games - any good ones? :)

Setting difficulty to easy reduces the size of the armies the AI builds for its invasions/rampages. But it is a game on the rise and fall of Rome, so eventually the barbarians will come knocking at the gates of the eternal city.

I uploaded a new apk (same URI) that fixes a small crash bug, btw.

Nice compilation of Android games – some of which I had no idea were out there.

Clearly, this is a droid, so ymmv,

Thanks for the list. I’ll cull through and post what I like.

Funny that I was always jealous of the iPhone/iTouch users because of the games, but now that I have my Droid, I’m having MUCH more fun playing with the Apps.

And I’ll second the recommendation for What the Doodle, because that’s just fun.

Android Developers Challenge 2 winners gallery here: (not all games obviously)

Game is on the Android Market now. Do let me know if you should try it and find any problems.

Is your game on SlideMe? I can’t get to the Google Market (no gmail account)

Now it is.

I like to tease them for not being human.

I can’t seem to get anywhere. Africa keeps rebelling, how do I sow its fields with salt?

There’s a decent client for KGS if you happen to be into goweiqibaduk.

If it’s the Carthaginians being uppity, they usually stop being so after 150 BCE (the activity levels of the various empires generally follow historical patterns). A garrison of two legions/limites + 1 auxilia is usually sufficient to halt anything but the most determined rebellions as long as there is a city present.

Also, try to wipe out an empire in one turn if possible; as attacking an empire activates them.

Shameless plug: I’ve uploaded yet another waste of time, “Pirates and Traders” - to the Android market (also SlideME). I missed having some turn-based action in the Caribbean while taking care of the young 'un, so I went and coded something for myself. Hopefully a few others may like it as well.

Oops. First bug.

In the Guadeloupe Tavern:

“I’d steer clear of {0}, if I were you. Word has it that the waters are infested with pirates.”

So far, pretty fun. A turn-base version of Pirates! is a great idea.

Thanks a lot. I’m a bit puzzled how that (event without a named location) is even possible, but no doubt there is some stupid little error in the code somewhere. There usually is.

It’s a fun game. I start playing it to pass some time and get all caught up in it.

I also get that {0} bug.

I got a Nexus One, and I wonder how a NES/SNES emulator is going to work on a device like that. There are no buttons! Is there an on-screen d-pad and some buttons, or is there some other solution that I’m unaware of?

Also, I’m quite surprised by the N1’s performance. I downloaded a pretty basic-looking space shooter (which name has escaped my memory), and the performance was absolute ass. Is that a tendency because varying specs on different Android phones results in a moving target for developers, or was I just really unlucky? (I have no idea how the N1 compares to other Android phones performance-wise)

I’ve been playing with some Android programming as well, and so far it seems like you can really squeeze a lot of juice out of these little devices. The OpenGL ES stuff runs at a pretty good clip.

Garbage Collection seems to be a constant battle, but other then that its fairly easy to develop for…

Hmm. If you get that bug with the missing location, could you check your status window to see whether the rumor is mentioned in the list of known rumors? Also check the map to see if you can find a rumor marker that might indicate that rumor.

Also, I’ve released some updates to the game that fixes some unfortunate save game issue (continuing a game messed up the player’s gold and treasure), so I’d recommend grabbing that.

@Erlend:
Presumably they are using an on-screen d-pad, though the Motorola Droid also has a game controller accessory.

Android arcade games (assuming the game you downloaded was not simply poorly written) tend to suffer from the JVM garbage collector doing stuff at the most inopportune of times. Even if you shut down all non-essential operations (which you should), GMail and Calendar synchronization can still cause all sorts of stuttering. The N1 is top of the line (or close to it) at the moment, so it’s not likely to be the hardware that is the problem.

The other request I would make is better organizing the trade screen, which is a critical part of the game. Maybe a list instead of a paragraph grouped by Town so it is easier to see who has what.

Edit: I realized i’m still on your beta. Going to uninstall and try out the market version!