Android Games Thread

I just discovered Shortyz. Okay, it’s not a game itself, but it is a free app that goes out and downloads crossword puzzles from various newspapers. The interface is really well done and it is a great way to pass the time and keep your brain fresh.

Reader’s Digest (or someone) should make a vocab quiz game for mobile phones. I miss those things. I’ll try Shortyz but I’ve never been a big fan of crossword puzzles.

Funny you should mention, I just started using it (shortyz) this weekend. Done around four puzzles so far.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I’d love to see FreeCiv hit Android, if they could do it right. Seems like a lot of assets could be stored on SD and called into the app – I’ve seen other apps do that – which runs from ROM to cut down on the footprint and still make it available to the non-FroYo crowd (ie, me).

So, games I like:
Guns’n’Glory - Wild West Tower Defense game…I’m having a ball with this one right now.
Frozen Bubble - Bust a Move Clone

And another vote for Uniwar, best game on the platform I’ve encountered so far.

Still waiting on Words with Friends…I know the developer has some people working on Android apps, but no word for sure on which, but it seems likely, and I’m hopeful.

I’ve been through several, just having a hard time remembering what I liked that isn’t already listed…I’ll come back and edit as I think of more.

Angry Birds is out … and it is free …

http://www.rovio.com/index.html

… Provided you can get to it.

Jesus, is this that good?

It is a fantastic portable phone game.

But the freeness is probably making the difference.

I see. Well, here’s the shortcut so other people don’t have to go through the same hoops I just did: just go to http://m.getjar.com on your phone’s browser.

"Sorry

The requested item could not be loaded! (Status Code: 502)"

Must be popular…

Don’t feel bad, I tried over thirty minutes ago with the same result.

If anyone has any luck downloading the .apk, would you mind putting it on Dropbox or somewhere? I will do so if I manage to get through any time soon.

I’m not helping by hammering the download button when I should be working.

Yeah, I didn’t mean to confuse anyone; that’s just the right url that you eventually get to. I have not successfully downloaded it yet or anything. Why is this not just on the Market?

Also, you guys seriously should check out Leave Devil Alone (perhaps while waiting for this to download). It actually is pretty excellent.

I will look into that.

Oh, and it’s finally in the market. Wooo!

-edit- That Leave Devil Alone is a pretty decent PvZ clone, aside from the rampant spelling/translation errors. I’d rather play the real thing, but until then this will do!

Yay! Downloading now…

I have played a LOT of Angry Birds in the last few days. I love it, but man does it get tough!

I’m also a fan of Cestos, which is a marbles kind of game that is free and multiplayer.

Angry Birds is so good. My favourite victories are those in which that last pig gets snuffed after patiently waiting for all the last minute shuffling and shifting of objects. I love physics!

Wordfeud - available in both free and paid versions – is a nice lil Scrabble/Words With Friends-type game. If anyone is playing, or wants to, my username is mmurphy1.

God Angry Birds is addictive. Also I play a lot of Archipelago.