Android Games Thread

Thanks. I already picked up the bundle, but I’m glad to hear that there’s (probably) not too much pressure to use IAPs. Although if it should turn out to be too much, I can always just play on my PC.

Used my sweet free Amazon monies to buy Out There.

It’s pretty cool.

Dragon Quest 8 was just released for Android. $20 seems steep but it’s one of my favorite games so I’ll probably buy it at some point.

Do you Android QT3ers pay much attention to App permissions?

I didn’t worry much when I first got my tablet, but downloading some Amazon FAOTDs made me more aware (since many of the FAOTDs come with helpful(?) warning about hidden spyware and the like).

I ask because I stopped myself from installing “Tales of Honor” when I noticed that–among other things–it wants permission rights for my tablet’s camera. Doesn’t that seem a bit weird?

Personally? No, not at all. The permissions system seems to be broken by the need for them to explain themselves in less than a single sentence. Some apps explain the reason why they need certain intrusive sounding permissions is to do something nice and minor and unrelated. I can’t tell who is being sincere.

That is weird. The only reason it would do that is because it ensures that the hardware is advanced enough to run the game. The game doesn’t need to use the camera and I can guarantee it’s not spyware.

Hitman Go is out on Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.squareenixmontreal.hitmango&referrer=utm_source%3D42matters.com%26utm_medium%3DWidgetWeb

5 bucks, tons of levels, not full of free-to-play bullshit. Plays like an stealth board game. Recommended!

Ooo. Thanks for the suggestion. This screenshot was not at all what I expected, but the sleek board game design looks very appealing.

Finally. I’ve been so envious of iOS because of this. Thanks for the heads up!

Maybe for face-detection to stop the app from sleeping (or allow it to)?

Anybody know if it’s coming to Amazon? I want to spend my free spacebucks.

Empire is on sale for $1. Supposedly, it’s a 4x game with a deck building mechanic, in a decaying world, which means that the player will ultimately lose. I’ve heard some good things about it, and I think I’ll pick it up.

Also, Pocket League Story for $1.20, for those following the world cup.

I took your advice about Empire. Hopefully I’ll give it a try soon.

Empire has been available on the PC for a while. I picked it up from Gamersgate for $5, iirc, but they no longer seem to have it available. At any rate, it’s quite good.

I stumbled upon this game in the Play store and added it to my wishlist months ago, but I’ve never known much about it.

I’d be curious to hear any comments from you guys after you’ve played it. $0.99 isn’t much of a risk, but I just got into Summoner Wars so I’ve already exceeded my Android card-based-strategy-game quota for the month. :-)

It’ll be little while before I get to play it, since my current phone can’t actually run it. My girlfriend got me a new one for my birthday, but it’s in Taiwan, and I’m not going there until next week. Anyway, I’ll post some thoughts after trying it out.

Downloaded Hitman:Go and played a few levels before going to bed. I really like the board game/diorama presentation, and it seems very polished. I kind of wish there was a more explicit tutorial, but I guess that’s part of the puzzle.

Did anybody see/mention Monument Valley?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ustwo.monumentvalley

Looks god damned beautiful and just a touch like Vectorpark’s work (Windosill).

I played Empire for a bit, but it didn’t really grab me for the long-term. Partly it’s just that you keep playing and playing until you eventually die because there are no resources left. It’s definitely worth a look for $1 though.

Woo! I’m an asshole who doesn’t like anything!

I played Empire briefly a while ago. I don’t remember much about it other than that it didn’t really connect with me, but I found my previous impressions post here:

Monument Valley is fine? It’s very pretty, but there’s almost no game there. There’s typically a single, very obvious path to traverse with 1 or 2 interact-able objects along that path. They toy with the impossible perspectives based gameplay, but there are really only a handful of times that’s used throughout the whole game. For Escher-y impossible perspectives gameplay, I think that Echochrome and, in it’s own way, Terry Cavanagh’s Naya’s Quest tread that ground more effectively.