Android Games Thread

With the advent of Amazon Underground, where Amazon pays developers for their games by minute of use, I think it’s Free App of the Day is no more. Discussion here. And the twitter feed I was depending on says as much as well: https://twitter.com/AmazonAppADay

I’d read somewhere that the FaotD was going away, to be replaced by a new storefront app (Amazon Underground) with free apps… But I didn’t realize there was a shift in payment models underneath the (seemingly) needless change.

I’m still not sure how I feel about Amazon asking me to install yet another shopping app (I’ve already got their App Store, their regular storefront App, and their Kindle app). I’ll be happy if this means the developers get paid though.

It doesn’t look like you need the regular Amazon app or the regular app store app now.

What about for your Amazon apps that as yet aren’t on Underground?

Also glanced over the list of games they’ve got on there and nothing really caught my eye. I’m sure there are some decent things but I play so little on Android there isn’t much that would grab me. Like I’d mess around with Summoner Wars if it was on there and I didn’t have to buy all the sets, but eh. Kinda sad to lose the app of the day even though this is potentially even better, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up being a desolate wasteland of ad-packed garbage, either. Had been considering trying to burn my Amazon coins on Hearthstone cards, but with no app of the day I may hang on to them to scoop up a few things I’m interested in like Sorcery 4 (Whenever it happens).

It seems a little silly to squabble about cheap apps versus free, but I am put off by the new Amazon Underground’s pricing of per-minute use (and pop up ads, though that’s nothing new). I feel like the all-seeing eye of Bezos is staring at me whenever I play what he offers. The previous model came (presumably) without the spying. But developers gotta eat, I know. I’m going to be buying apps from now on.

I had to uninstall my Allrecipes Pro app because it required the original Amazon App Store app to run, but other than that I haven’t run into any issues. I do miss that app, though…

In other news! A game called Deep Dungeons of Doom is on sale for ten whole pennies right now. That’s two nickels, folks. It seems to have been well reviewed so I gave it a shot. I only played for a few minutes but it seemed like an entertaining diversion.

And apparently a popular board game by the name of Brass is about to be released on iOS and Android.

In other news! A game called Deep Dungeons of Doom is on sale for ten whole pennies right now. That’s two nickels, folks. It seems to have been well reviewed so I gave it a shot. I only played for a few minutes but it seemed like an entertaining diversion.

Man, finally something to put the $31 in Google Survey Rewards bux I’ve earned toward!

I have some Google monies burning a hole in my play account (I think some of it starts expiring soon if I don’t spend it) - and Ascension has most everything on sale at the moment. Any reason to not go all-in and pick it all up? I’m not entirely clear on what the promo packs are, but they don’t jump up the price too badly.

In a similar vein, do I drop $5 on Star Realms at the same time? Or would it be too much of the same (SR also isn’t on sale, so I could always pick it up later).

I play and enjoy both, but I’m much more a fan of Star Realms. It’s simpler, for one thing, with only two expansions instead of eight. I’m not very good at either, but I usually feel like I have a better chance in SR. Having said that, Ascension is still a lot of fun as well. And there’s plenty of folks on here who feel the exact opposite, I’m sure.

As for those Asc promo packs, they’re by no means necessary but do add a little extra variety. You won’t need that for a good long time if you’re just now starting to play. But hey, if they’re cheap, why not?

Once you pick up one or both, be sure to stop by the league threads (SR, Asc) to find lots of people to play with!

Thanks, the league threads are what clued me into both games being potentially worthwhile. On the flip side, I would just be cannon fodder for a while :)

Pff, I’m still cannon fodder in Ascension, and I run the damn league now! Don’t let that stop you.

Yaaaaaaaay, thanks for the tip Daagar – I had totally forgotten about Ascension; I’d been meaning to pick it up once it came out and then kinda lost track. Just got the lot of the expansions for like $7. More than happy to pay that.

Pocketgamer says that KOTOR 2 is coming to mobile

I wonder if Amazon will have that game for free as well?

It’s KOTOR 2. I’d buy it regardless.

I’ve already played it, so if it’s free, I’ll get it. Otherwise, I’ll move on.

OK so there’s a new emulator out. It’s called ExaGear and it runs Windows games. I’ve gotten the GOG version of HOMM 3 running and Might and Magic 7 and Alpha Centauri. There are 2 engines, one for RPGs and one for strategy games. It’s $7 per engine. Check it out at the Play Store.

Does it play worth a shit on a touchscreen?

It’s not bad. For games that run in real time like M&M it’s a bit fiddly but it seems fine for turn-based games. YMMV. It’s got a 3 day free trial period, so you can experiment.

Wonder if it’s actually improved. I tried it out a year or two ago and found it to be not worth the effort (no music on HoMM3, crash on trying to play Disciples 2 or Fantasy General).