Android Games Thread

If you eat out regularly, OpenTable is a must.

And are fancy enough to be going to joints that take reservations ;-)

Hahah, I was just about to come post that. I just installed OpenTable and discovered itā€™s all really high end fancy restaurants near me. Still, they only have 2 dollar symbols next to all of them, so I guess there must be much higher end restaurants above that.

So the problem is I still havenā€™t mentally readjusted to being a pointedly middle class household with two incomes, so when I see a menu with more than 50% of the entrees north of $12, I just canā€™t help but think, ā€œMmmm, yeah, thatā€™s a little ritzy for us.ā€

Does anyone here play Scrabble on their Android phone? Does it have ads or is there an ad-free version?

Thinking about switching from iPhone to Android this next cycle and I play a lot of Scrabble with friends.

(and please donā€™t recommend Words with Friendsā€¦ we tried it and didnā€™t like it)

I just tried Evernote, thinking ā€œis it really going to be better than Googleā€™s Keep?ā€

And yes, yes it is. I just did the tutorial. This thing seems awesome. Now Iā€™ll have to try the rest of your list. Well, except Facebook/Messenger and Dropbox and Hangouts and Maps. I already have those.

I like that some of these names give no clue as to what the app could be about. Like Discord, Slack, Utopia. WTF could they be? Iā€™ll find out I guess. :)

The only Android app I would be able to recommend for anyone is Shortyz, a free crossword app that pulls daily puzzles from various publications.

Discord and Slack are team chat apps. Discord is more gamer focused, including a QT3 server! https://discord.gg/010OE5K91DYjfvY3t to join up! Slack is generally more corporate focused, but thereā€™s also an awesome games focused server for QT3. PM @Dave_Perkins for an invite.

Utopia is an oldschool (circa 1997ā€“I started in 98) text based team strategy game that normally runs in he browser. Thereā€™s a phone app that replicates most of the functionality that I use on the road.

And Evernote is amazing! I love it for grocery lists.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I start checking them out.

NovaLauncher (get rid of all the TouchWiz or whatever crap and customise your UI to your satisfaction)
Citymapper (if you live in a public transport city, it is essential)
LastPass (works for apps as well as websites)
Pocket Casts (best multiplatform podcast client)
Chrome
QT3 shortcut
Palabre (RSS reader)
BaconReader (Reddit client)
MLB At Bat
Evernote
RunPee (tells you when to piss during a movie and what you missed)
PepperPlate (recipe app)
GSAM Battery Monitor
Tasker (basically ITTT for your phone)
Wunderlist (To Do app, now bought by Microsoft, unfortunately)
All the Google apps, especially Inbox, Maps, Photos and Drive
All the obvious media apps - Amazon, Netflix, Spotify etc

Oh yes, NovaLauncher and LastPass are great. As is Twilight. ALl those runn so quietly in the background I forget I have em :)

Twilightā€™s less necessary since Nougat.

I donā€™t know where you live, but here in Arizona itā€™s no longer like that. A few years back they started adding mid-level restaurants (mostly Chinese, Mexican, & pizza) to the service.

I like it for the points. If weā€™re going out to eat, Iā€™ll check to see if our destination is on there, and make a reservation if it is. I seldom search it for someplace new, unless weā€™re traveling and looking for ideas.

Just noticed that Sorcery! is currently free on the Play Store

OK, Pocket Casts is the first app I went with!

LastPass may be useful too. Right now Iā€™ve got a notepad file with a ton of passwords, although Chrome remembers them so I donā€™t need to type them in.

Qt3 bookmark added.

Evernote seems to be a popular list manager. What I mainly want is an app to help track a grocery list and then list the items in the order that the aisles are arranged in the store. Iā€™m OK with having to set up the aisles initially since there is no way the app will know that. Would a more specialized app be better for this than Evernote?

Oh, that would be fantastic, Rob! Iā€™ve never heard of something quite that specialized (and I think it would have to be a very intelligent app) as to do it generically. . . BUT if I recall correctly, the shopping list function in the Publix app can sort of do this (at least suggesting an aisle number within the list, if not necessarily sorting basted of it).

This list has some shopping list apps and it says two of them can sort your list by aisle. Iā€™m not sure how it works though. Just search the page for aisle.

In Wunderlist you can create multiple lists and swipe between them. No reason you couldnā€™t create a list for each aisle. Not sure how ordering works, but I imagine you can rearrange them.

Wunderlist is a great general todo list manager, with lots of ways to organize your lists and cross platform support. However, it was just bought by Microsoft, and its future is uncertain.

If you are specifically looking for an app to manage grocery lists, maybe consider Paprika. It is actually a cross platform recipe management app, meant to scrape online recipes and record your own. The cool thing is that when you look at a recipe, you can check off which items you will need to buy. You can also rescale any recipe (for example you can 1/2X a recipe and ā€œ2 apples, 4 tablespoons of sugar" will turn into ā€œ1 apple, 2 tablespoons of sugarā€)

When you are done planning, it will collect all the ā€œto buyā€ items from all your recipes, sync them to your phone or other device, and then organize them as a single shopping list sorted by the typical store locations (dairy, produce, meat, etc). Especially useful if your housemate or spouse is planning to cook, and you are doing the shopping.