Android Games Thread

Gee, it sounds like you would enjoy a game called Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

Well, you’re in luck. Now you can play Morrowind on your phone.

/slow blink

I came to this thread looking for something fun to play on my tablet. I saw this post and bought this game, even though I’d never heard of the series or creators before. I’ve just won my third game so far. It is $4 well spent. The more I win the more I seem to unlock, and the harder the challenge becomes. This was just the sort of game I came looking for.

Paging Dr. @BrianRubin

The team behind the Evochron space sims have released a Homeworld-like RTS exclusively for Android. Free to play, pay once to disable ads.

Holy shit what?

I can’t be the only one who just had this come to mind…

Dr. Spaceman

@BrianRubin perhaps a name change could be in your future?

Despite my undying love of Chris Parnell, I don’t wanna be sued by Tina Fey and/or NBC.

Hmmph. I wonder if Vice is making a TK(*)-like move away from PC sims and into the mobile space.

*creator of Strike Fighters, the last decent non-rivet survey modern combat flight sim

I hope not. I should email him and ask.

Email sent. I’ll let’cha know what I find out.

Tropico for android is out. $11.99, no IAP. Plays on tablets and some phones.

I noticed a new Kingdom Rush game is out, Kingdom Rush Vengeance. That’s probably my favorite tower defense games, and they’re really fun to play on the phone.

I see it’s $5. This makes me happy because it implies there won’t be microtransactions. I’m ready to buy, but I have one final concern, can this game play in landscape mode on tablets?

I take it this would be your first Kingdom Rush game? :D

They love their microtransactions. You usually get a few characters for free, or that can be unlocked in game. But then there’ll be a dozen or so other heroes that will cost a few dollars each. You can also buy various one shot powerups to be used in levels (these can also be bought w/ in-game currency over time).

Oh. Yea, it would have been my first. I was hoping it was a one-and-done deal, like Through the Ages, Human Resource Machine, Mario Run, Solar Settlers, Shards of Infinity, and Age of Rivals. I just live these other premium mobile games because so far there seems to be no strings attached with any of them.

You can play through and have fun with the $5 game for sure. They just want you to buy all the extra heroes, which aren’t necessary at all but add flavor. The hero is only a part of your forces each level because your main defense are the towers (& their various upgrades). I’d highly recommend getting the $5 base game and playing through it with the included hero(es). Definitely worth it!

Good to know.

I have played a few of them and never felt a need to spend extra money or that spending money was needed to progress. Haven’t played this new one.

Seems to be available for my Pixel 2XL. Would love to hear impressions.

I haven’t played a good game on my phone or tablet in a while. I went back through this thread and browsed the Editor’s Choices on the Play store. I think I’m most interested in these three games:

Stardew Valley
80 Days
Through the Ages

These aren’t really like each other, but can anyone recommend one of those three over the others? Or recommend any other must-plays? I’d primarily be playing on a Pixel 3 and otherwise on an aging Nvidia Shield.

All are very good, it just depends on what you’re in the mood for. I’ve gotten the most out of TTA, thanks to the async multiplayer (and there’s a qt3 casual tournament going on right now to boot).

You had great timing in asking this week though, because Google just launched their Play Pass service. Stardew Valley and 80 Days are both included, along with a bunch of others. 10 day free trial and then $2/month for the first year makes that the logical way to go.