Android Games Thread

but, no report whether it’s visually stunning?

Seems like bad timing, Nvidia discontinued Geforce NOW from the Nvidia Shield recently. I don’t have much faith if they don’t even have faith in their own product.

edit: nm, they discontinued the local service Gamestream, which is different than this

I’d never heard of the Paperback game before, but it looks to be right up my alley. Thanks for mentioning it!

I played a few games and ran into some bugs already, but also I wish the instructions were a little better. I guess “take a typo” is “get a bad card in return for an extra penny to spend this turn”? And I don’t know what it’s talking about with a free card you get for being the first person to make a seven letter word.

And is there any reason not to add the extra letter to every hand unless you have a card that gives you a bonus for using all your cards?

Yeah, I think you got it. No reason not to use that extra vowel if you can, and the first person to get a 7 letter word gets to keep that card (which is worth VP). The next one goes to the first person to get a 8 letter word, and so on.

(that “take a typo” option was only added a month or two ago, along with a bunch of new cards. Nice that the dev continues to work on the game, and has done so a few times in the past - but I could do without the game breaking bugs)

Yeah, I had to guess on that one too. First time I tried it, I got an X worth zero that got destroyed after play. Yep, that’s pretty bad!

Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon is now on Android but like Into the Beach is available for Netflix subscribers only. :P

Google killed their Pixel Pass subscription. Another one for the Google graveyard I guess.

To be clear though, they still offer Google Play Pass separately, which is the game subscription. It’s not a bad deal; all the games on it are guaranteed to be ad-free with no IAPs. I subbed for awhile but quit because all mobile games are either tower defense, match 3, or roguelike card games. Every once in awhile, like once every two years, I find a gem of a mobile game that is novel and interesting, but its rare enough that its not worth having the sub.

I have a Pixel and have never heard of Pixel Pass

I think I heard of it at some point but it had completely disappeared from my memory by the time I saw the announcement. Re: Play Pass, even if I wanted to game on my phone, I wouldn’t risk the battery drain.

hey cool, I was getting those two mixed up. So Play Pass is still a thing, that’s good to know.

I subbed to Play Pass for a while. It was a good deal, but when I had time for portable gaming, always reached for the Switch instead of my tablet.

(Funny, soon after cancelling I started playing on the tablet more. Mostly stuff I had already purchased along the way and felt guilty not getting to (Titan Quest, Icewind Dale, Baldur’s Gate, Battle Chasers) and some Genshin Impact).

Google Play Pass is on sale for $1.20 a month for six months. Is that $1 a month in the US? I cancelled PC/Microsoft Game Pass and signed up.

What motivated me was considering Down in Bermuda on sale on Steam:

Then I saw it was $7 CAD on Android, then I saw it was included with Google Play Pass.

There seems to be a bunch more on the pass to explore. Bridge Constructor Portal looks like a fun casual game. Also on Steam / Switch but here’s the Android link.

There is this google survey app which asks you questions sometimes and gives you some play store credit. I have about $24 in credit now, and google informed me that some of my credits are going to expire. This does piss me off, but in any case, I would rather buy something than loose the credits.

I was looking at some games, but a lot of them are action games and I have no idea how you can play them on an cell phone. IE: Vampire survivors? How the hell do you play that on a touch screen?

Anyway, are there any recommendations for some good paid, turn based games? I would prefer some open world adventure games or maybe a city / colony builder or perhaps any good board game with AI opponents.

I would suggest Into The Breach but it’s “free” with Netflix. For board games, there’s Twilight Struggle, Spirit Island, Race for the Galaxy and Terraforming Mars, among others.

Thanks for those suggestions.

Not your specific genres, but by far my favorite Android game over the past year has been Dawncaster.

I played just a terrifying amount of Slice & Dice this year:

Ticket To Earth is a few years old but amazing:

Oh, just thought of a good non-board game one: 80 Days