Android HTC Desire HD Volume Level Problem

I am having a problem with my Android smartphone, an HTC Desire HD running Android 2.3.3.

The ringtone volume will intermittently and spuriously set itself to 0, putting the phone in vibrate mode. This means that I sometimes miss calls without realizing it.

I don’t have any third-party applications/gadgets installed that should affect the volume levels. The problem happens even if the phone is just sitting on the desktop so it’s not caused by accidentally bumping the volume control.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this problem or, even better, how to fix it? Pinning the volume level high and disabling the ability to change volume levels would be a workable solution, for example.

Thanks.

I don’t know if there’s a way to do that without root access to the device. If you have that, you can edit the keyboard layout file.

It sounds very much like a hardware problem to me, though-- has the phone ever been dropped? You might want to investigate getting it checked out if it’s still under warranty.

I had an HTC Incredible that did the same thing. I wish I had a resolution for you, but my son dropped the phone onto concrete, ensuring that the mystery was never resolved.

Is it a Sense issue maybe?

Possibly. My Desire S had a bug with Sense 3.0 where to the power button would take screenshots instead of lock the screen. I did find a solution after some googling.

Thanks for the help guys. As far as I know, the phone hasn’t been dropped though I can’t be sure since my daughter uses it to make a quick call now and again. I opted to do a factory reset and then see what happens. If it continues to act up then I’ll contact the provider and explore warranty options.