Android performance in 2016 is (less) embarrassingly awful

Also related (and awesome), since it moves into talking about asm.js: The Birth & Death of JavaScript

asm.js was utterly hilarious because it was just minified/obfuscated Javascript specifically targeting at certain javascript parsers.

WebAssembly is more promising, though it’s not a proper bytecode and I imagine they’ll brainfart at the end ans somehow still shoehorn Javascript into the concept of it. It should have just been based on LLVM like the google one.

Basically: Can’t Javascript just get the memo and FOAD?

That’s fair. :)

I just got a new battery and battery charging cradle for my LG V10 on LG’s website for a total of $20!
V10 comes standard with 64GB of storage plus it has a micro-sd slot for additional storage space.

I am totally happy with my Android phone - performance is extremely snappy and I’ve never owned an Iphone but have tried one out and played around with others’ and I have never seen a real-world performance difference, at least not with the Android phones from the last 2 years.

doesn’t the v10 have a SD808 SoC? does it overheat?

WebAssembly is based on LLVM. Unless you mean using LLVM IR bitcode as the format? In which case, I strongly disagree. LLVM bitcode is not good for that purpose. It’s neither portable nor stable enough, and it’s explicitly not designed to be.

Given that Snapdragon 820 does put Android back on track for perf, I’ve edited the title. My bad, I had only looked at early 820 results, the final optimized version was pretty decent.

Still, if you bought an Android device in 2015… brrrrr it was a dark time for Android. Very dark.

I’m still rocking a Nexus 4 from 2012 :-/ While great sometimes, it can also be downright painful.

Looking forward to upgrading this year, I’m expecting this… ;-D

Seems your default response to things you don’t understand is to find them hilarious. Perhaps that’s why you’re always in such a good mood.

Podtip: JavaScript “bytecode” already exists. It’s called JavaScript. JS syntax isn’t nearly as verbose as languages like Java, and minifiers can further compact the hell out of it, so transmission time for even complex web apps like Google’s Docs suite is insignificant on a broadband connection. Then browser JS engines like V8 can take that JS source and compile it to native code, without being constrained by some intermediate bytecode compiler’s notion of how best to handle it.

https://www.dartlang.org/articles/dart-vm/why-not-bytecode

This idea, and actively encouraging it, is the main problem faced by the internet today.

I have an equally compelling argument that leprechauns are the main problem facing the internet today.

Leprechauns are a better compilation target than JavaScript. They’re lower level and could probably perform large multiplication more accurately than JavaScript ;)

Yes, the V10 does have the SD808. It does get a little warm occasionally, but I wouldn’t say it overheats. Wasn’t it the 810 that had the overheating issue? I believe that’s why LG went with the 808 on the v10.

Yes, as used in the G-Flex 2. The 808 still had heat issues, my G4 would often be so hot as to be uncomfortable in my trouser pocket.

Good times… good times…

And yet I still have absolutely no urge to ever buy an iPhone. Crazy.

If you like stuff that runs really slow, Android is definitely a solid choice. 🐌

Android’s OS is just so immensely superior, that raw JavaScript execution speed kind of loses importance.

JS is representative of all single thread perf. So it’s gonna be slow everywhere. But you’ll do TWO TIMES the number of slow things at once, so… yay? It’s like having two iPhone 5s’es!