[Android] Share your Tasker recipes

Can you replicate JuiceDefender’s basic functions (turning data on and off on some schedule)? I found a recipe, but it only worked with non-CDMA.

I can’t find anything in Tasker that allows for CDMA mobile data control. Maybe if there were an app out there that did (like APNDroid), Tasker could interface with it and control it but otherwise I’m stumped.

Do you have a link to the recipe? I’m curious to see how they managed to make it turn everything on every X minutes to poll and allow pushes to come through.

AFAIK, the stock Dialer app itself has to be rejiggered for data to be turned on and off without using wifi on CDMA phones. I base this on the thread on the Cyanogen(mod) forums where one of the (I guess now-) devs was working on the new power bar widget that would allow for turning data on and off. He had to provide a reprogrammed Dialer (as well as a few other minor enhancements) for it all to work properly. Thus far, Cyanogen(mod) is the only mod/adjustment I’ve found that lets me manage my data manually.

If Tasker could somehow be linked into whatever that power widget does in Cy, I suppose it could theoretically be done on that ROM, at least. Rajah–any idea if Tasker can “tell” a widget to do something like that automatically?

Tasker is pretty cool. I was just thinking the other day “I like all the keyboard clicks and other system sounds, but I don’t want them going off while I’m at work.”

Tasker made it super easy to turn system volume to 0 between 8am and 6pm, but I still have notification sounds and ringer sounds.

I’ve yet to figure out how to get Tasker to talk to Widgets without an actual plugin. I’ve been wrestling with that one for a while because I really want to incorporate RenderFX [RED] into my Movie Mode profile.

i have a question, what is your MOVTOG variable I find no reference to what that variable is can you help me out?

That’s just a variable I made up for the profile to track the state of the movie mode. It’s not a system variabe.

Tell it to use silent mode (with or without vibrate) instead of setting the volume. That’s what I do and it works fine.

No, I still want it to ring, and give the normal notification beeps. I just want the system clicks to go away with each screen press.

Wow, this stuff sounds fantastic. I don’t have an Android yet, but when I get one in a couple of months I will damn well be back in this thread!

This is all awesome. However, I have one issue with Tasker that I can’t find an answer to, so I’m hoping y’all can help. I set up Tasker so when a certain app turns on, it’ll turn on the GPS, then turn it off when it terminates (as shown in the awesome Lifehacker article). There’s one problem though, and that’s with Google Navigation.

It seems to start up so quickly that Tasker doesn’t have enough time to turn on the GPS, which has been causing me enough problems to stop using Tasker until I can figure this out.

I’ve tried adding some sort of delay to Navigation’s startup so the GPS can kick in but it doesn’t work, or I didn’t do it right. Would you smarter Tasker-knowledgeable folks have any thoughts as to what I can do about this? Thanks!

So, here is one thing I tried. It may not be the best solution for you, but here you go.

I created a new Task called “Launch Navigation with GPS”. The Task turns sets GPS to On, then runs Load App on Navigation. I also changed the icon from the ? bubble to the icon from Navigation.

I then added a Tasker widget to the homepage which would run this task.

Since I still had the same auto-GPS on/off from that Lifehacker article, the GPS would auto-turn off when the Application was exited. Works fine, if you are okay with a homepage widget.

What if you set up a toggle (like my Movie Mode one) that, when pressed, first started the GPS and then launched the Nav? Stick that on the desktop instead of the Nav link and it should do the same thing.

Then you could just set up another profile to turn off GPS when Nav is quit.

I’m getting an epic in 13 days, and have zero cell coverage at my house.

Can Tasker put the phone in airplane mode , and keep wifi on?

The final goal is for a one click widget that will turn off all communications, except wifi which needs to be turned on, and open up fring or sipdroid or something similar.
calls will forward from GV to the sipgate number and hopefully be received on fring, im not worried about outbound calling.

How difficult would this be to set up with Tasker?

Yes. Airplane Mode and Wifi are separate radios, so you can turn them on/off independently of each other.

Using the Movie Mode recipe as a template, you could add tasks to turn Airplane On, Wifi On, and launch Sipdroid. Then just turn them all off later.

OR

You could just add a profile that, upon launching of Sipdroid, turns on Airplane Mode and Wifi if they aren’t already on, and turns them off when you quit.

Hm thanks thats great to know. I hadn’t been able to find any real confirmation if wifi could be turned on during airplane mode, some said yes and some no.

So, here is what I just tried on my Epic. If wifi and/or Bluetooth is on and I enter Flight Mode through the menu option, it will turn those radios off as well as the cellular radios (but it doesn’t turn off GPS it seems). After the fact, I could reenable wifi and use it with no issues.

Yeah. To test it, I made a simple widget that toggled Airplane Mode, then WiFi (toggle turns it off if on, or the reverse). Added the widget to my desktop as a button, turned off WiFi, and clicked. Sure enough, Airplane Mode kicked in and then a second later WiFi turned on.

Ahh, sorry I misunderstood.

I think you probably want to reduce the system volume to 0 while leaving Alarm Volume, Notification Volume and Ringer Volume at normal. I have tested that the typing sounds use system volume but I am not sure what else does as well.

That’s excatly what I did last week and it works like a charm.