Android - what's in your pocket?

Well you have to activate the phone on Fi service and maintain it there for 30 days, then you get a credit you can use to pay your phone bill for the next couple of months, but yeah: net cost for the phone is -$1 ultimately.

The Samsung S10e has most of those things.

I want to get my almost 12-year-old a phone because she’s going to be on her own for chunks of this summer. Obviously, I don’t want to spend much on it.

I’m on google fi and there are a few inexpensive phones. The Moto G6 is $99 and the Android One Moto X4 is $149. Is there any reason to be concerned about either of them or prefer one to the other? The last android phone I owned was the G1, so I’m really not up on the hardware.

I could also hand down my current iPhone 7, but that seems like a less good idea.

I’ve used this one as a backup phone when I had my main one die on me, and it’s worked fine.

I don’t doubt that you’d get similar results from the Moto phones. Low-end Android phones are commodity now…anyone with a truly terrible product has pretty much disappeared since the working ones are so cheap.

I would avoid BLU. There are super cheap, but always out date, security and feature wise, and when it comes to kids, I think that is important.
The newest versions of Android should allow you to create a locked down profile for kids, limiting what they can do on the phone. I think that is probably an important feature you might want to consider.

Yeah, I think I’m either buying one of the inexpensive but current phones through google, or I’m handing down the iPhone 7 I currently use. I’m not willing to much around in all of the Android SKUs and come back with something sketchy and un-updateable.

Yeah, the entry-level Motos are the obvious choice for you IMO.

Another reason to keep that 3.5mm jack…

Don’t know much about the Moto X4 series but the Moto G6 for $99 seems like a great deal! Definitely stay away from the super cheap phones.

Yeah, I could see that as being a huge problem. If my $25 wireless Anker headphones lose half their battery life in a couple years, that’s one thing. But if I were paying $170+ for something I’d want them to last longer than that.

Heh we probably have the same set, and yep for $25 I am happy if I get 1 year out of them. Actually I’ve had them almost 18 months and still working great.

I have a random nuisance question and didn’t have any luck googling for an answer…

I get alerts from Google about miscellaneous news stories based on my search history and generally I don’t mind them. Sometimes they’re interesting. But if I swipe right to dismiss the alerts from my lock screen, they come back three or four times a day. I don’t want to disable them entirely but I only want to see each alert one time.

Any clue wtf is goin’ on?!?! tnx

That’s been happening to me too. I don’t have an answer, it’s pretty annoying.

Can you swipe down on the notification and say you’re not interested?

Swipe DOWN?! What a radical notion! I’ll give it a try and report back when I get a chance.

Anyone else with a Pixel2XL have shitty performance in the last week or two? Coincides with a security update but it could just be a coincidence.

I’ve had mine going on 2 years and still working great! I tend not to use them during the cold months since I mainly use them mowing and jogging outside.

Swipe down gives me the Useful / Not Useful option. But I tried a swipe left and I think that did the trick! Thanks, Adam!

Hey, what kind of charger do you need for those, anyway?

USB to micro usb cord. Comes with the buds.