Android - what's in your pocket?

Extremely. I have a bunch of Anker chargers, albeit no wireless ones. They’re great.

Is it possible to mod the skin of an Android phone, sort of like WindowBlinds? I know you can download icon packs, but am wondering if more is possible.

I think Nova launcher prime does a lot of what you would want. But I’m not very experienced with it so you’ll have to see what you can find on your own.

Yes. Good grief, man, I’m trying not to respond with a lmgtfy link but it’s getting difficult.

I’ve been researching today, but it’s not clear to me whether a launcher like Nova is capable of customizing more than just the app drawer, Home screen and app icons. Anyway, I will try asking somewhere more focused on customization.

If you want more than that you might want to research installing a custom ROM.

I’ve had a sudden hankering for a smaller phone and have started looking at Sony Xz1 and Xz2 Compacts. Am I crazy? (for buying older phones, not smaller phones). They seem pretty expensive for being two and one year old phones.

Yes. You should not be using a phone that’s no longer getting security upgrades, it’s just a huge gamble. I don’t know what Sony’s policy on guaranteed security updates is, but it might well be just two years and is unlikely to be more than three years. A phone from 2017 might be very close to end of life right now.

(But maybe Sony have a better software update policy than is the norm. Then it seems fine. Nothing wrong with phone hardware from a couple of years ago.)

It sounds like Sony is actually pretty good with delivering software updates which kind of surprises me. I guess I’ll think on it a while longer.

wait wait wait, Sony is good with delivering software updates??? I had an xperia a few years ago and they were ALWAYS slow with updates. Maybe they dramatically changed in the last few years?

Well, I think the Xz1 Compact (released in 2017) is on Android Pie. Of course I’m with Motorola so my standards for updates is extremely low.

I’ve given up on xperia line. While they used to have the most eye catching Android phones out there IMO, their specs and price just made them not worth it. Nowadays the rest of the industry have caught up in the design department. A mid range Android nowadays is perfectly adequate. I have moved on to a Nokia 7 Plus, and it is good and cheap enough.

But I guess small screen will encourage less screen time, which may be good.

+1 small screens

:brofist:

Well, if my phone broke right now, I’d probably take a very close look at this.

Oh man, reading that review, as a Pixel 3 owner, I’m jealous one one thing: PIxel 3A has got a headphone jack. Damn it. I miss using my comfortable headphones.

I use the ones that came with the Pixel 3, but they really make my ears hurt a lot, so I try not to use them too often.

I get around the problem because my OnePlus One still works, so I use that as my mp3 player. That way I can use it’s headphone jack to listen to podcasts, audiobooks and music.

Yeah, I am very interested in the 3A. My s6 is feeling very old.

And it has the cowardice to keep the headphone jack.

Have you tried the headphone jack adapter that comes with the Pixel 3? It’s kind of ugly (unless you have a white headphone cord), but works just fine. I just leave the adapter connected to my headphones at all times.

I don’t remember that coming with my Pixel 3. If it did, I’ve lost it by now.

• 0 - - - - - -

Well, it finally happened. My wife’s Nexus 5X was working fine since we got it until yesterday, when it died and stopped booting up. I tried switching it on, and it once got as far as asking for the unlock pattern, but then after saying “Starting Android”, it only goes back to the initial boot.

I ordered the Pixel 3A for my wife. Google Fi has $100 in Fi credit. After taxes and expedited shipping (it should be here tomorrow or day after tomorrow), it cost about $450. The $100 in Fi Credit should make it equivalent to $350 all in all.

I picked up a pixel 3a XL today, cost me $80 + taxes as T-Mobile gave me $400 back for my old phone. The phone is great so far, highly recommended.

The only thing bad about pixel phones is that if’s very hard to go back to other brands after you’ve gotten used to vanilla android with no bloatware and constant, immediate updates.